Re: [S-R] Picture of shrine south of Markusovce in Slovakia

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 11, 2009
      The title of photograph, Nad Markusovcami / Beyond Markusovce isn't any help. Obviously a religious monument, the iron work is much like I have seen in cemeteries. Back in the late 1800's and early 1900's. You obviously need a frontal view in order to see what is written on the monument.

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 12, 2009
        I have a relation from Markusovce or possibly nearby Porac. Have you
        heard the surname Budaj? (Buday) Joseph Buday lived in
        Nemacolin,Pennsylvannia after coming to the U.S. He was born in 1893.

        Small world,Dennis

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Charlest" <ctintera@...> wrote:

        > I found a photo on Panormio of a marker that looks like a religious
        shrine and the picture is placed, in Panoramio, on a gravel road leading
        south out of Markusovce Slovakia.

        > The hill in the background of the picture is, my mother told me, the
        site of the settlement "Dolina" where her parent's house once was.

        > The picture is credited to "jancoknutel" and is used in Google Earth -
        ID: 22153338.

        > Does anyone know what it designates – why it is placed there? I
        would also like to know what the inscription says.

        > cvt

      • charles tintera
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 13, 2009
          Dennis wrote:

          * I have a relation from Markusovce or possibly nearby Porac. Have you
          heard the surname Budaj? (Buday) Joseph Buday lived in Nemacolin,
          Pennsylvania after coming to the U.S. He was born in 1893.

          > Small world, Dennis

          Sorry, I have never encountered that family name. Gurnik & Stupak, on my
          mother's side, are the two families I'm working on.

          Charles "Chuck" Tintera

        • charles tintera
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 13, 2009
            Michael Mojher wrote:

            * The title of photograph, Nad Markusovcami / Beyond Markusovce isn't
            any help. Obviously a religious monument, the iron work is much like I have
            seen in cemeteries.

            * Back in the late 1800's and early 1900's. You obviously need a
            frontal view in order to see what is written on the monument.

            I have already tried to contact the poster of that image "jancoknutel" but
            haven't had a reply. What would be ideal for me is to go there & take a
            picture of the inscription. Lacking that maybe someone reading this list
            know what it says.

            My mother once told me that there were "shrines" on the roads around
            Markusovce; perhaps she was trying to describe something like this.

            cvt

            Charles "Chuck" Tintera

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 13, 2009
              Hello Charles,
              Roadside shrines were very popular in this former Northern Hungary region.
              Your mother was quite correct. They were often placed along a route, as a
              place for travelers to rest and pray. Often, they were in memory of someone
              who had died, not necessarily anyone famous or renown. They also could be
              for a saint or other holy figure. In many cases, they are still tended to
              today by individuals.

              Since these shrines appear by the thousand throughout Slovakia, it would be
              premature to read too much into it. Even if you reached the photographer,
              it's doubtful s/he would have much to add.

              Regards,

              Bill

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 13, 2009
                I grew up near Nemacolin PA, but I didn't know anyone who lived there.
                The county, Greene County PA, has a top notch genealogy group,
                Cornerstone Genealogy Society. Google it and view their website --
                they have done a lot of indexing of obituaries and have lots of other
                helpful source material. And if you don't find anything in the indexes
                you see on the web, you can give them a call when their offices are
                open and see if they have any other sources. Some services have a
                nominal charge, but it could be very helpful.

                Elaine

                Sent from my iPhone