Skip to search.

RE: [S-R] Readable images?

  • MaryLou
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4 7:46 PM
      Thanks.
      Also--sorry the image was upside down--am sending new copy!
      MaryLou

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 4 7:50 PM
        I have also seen AK as Augsburg Kofession - Lutheran. It is common in the German at least.

        Ron
        PS. As a side note, if you encounter "Konfirmation" you are dealing with Evangelical (Protestant) records and with "Firmung" then Catholic records. German is one of the few languages that has these two different words for what we know in English as "confirmation".

      • treimer@nycap.rr.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 5 10:14 AM
          A.B., C.A. and A.C. would be the correct abbreviations for Lutherans in old Hungary, for Augsburger Bekenntniss in German(Augsburg Confession), and in Latin Confessio Augustana/Augustana Confessio. With C pronounced like a K, perhaps the writer spelled it that way? The reformed were H.B. (Helvetisches Bekenntnis) or C.H./H.C. (Confessio Helvetica/Helvetica Confessio) since the articles adopted in Hungary originated in Switzerland.

          Thomas

          ---- Carl <kotlarchik@...> wrote:
          > My family was Lutheran and I have hundreds of Lutheran church records of the Augsburg Confession and have never seen the designation of it as AK. It is typically "ag" and/or "ev". Sorry, but I don't know where Bill got his information or if it is correct.
          >
          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Tarkulich" <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > AK = Augsburg Confession
          > >

          > > Bill

        • MaryLou
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 5 10:25 AM
            If you look at the image I posted in the folder Hanusovce, the abbreviation
            llisted looks more like AH than AK but I am not very familiar with this form
            of script.
            MaryLou

            ---------------------
            Text inserted by Panda GP 2010:

            http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_1&SPAM=true&path=C:\Users\MaryLou\AppData\
            ocal\Panda%20Security\Panda%20Global%20Protection%202010\AntiSpam
          • Ben Sorensen
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 5 11:39 AM
              Just looked at it, and Bill, unsurprisingly, is absolutely correct.   They are using a later form/ more latinized or latin influenced form of Gothic script, so small "r's" are going to look like "v." Also, K and H are going to be similar (Gothic makes a K and an R look very similar- you have to look for the "serif" at the top of the letter to be sure...), and they were definately using the abbreviation that Bill mentioned.
              If you reference that K with the H in Herman at the bottom, and you will see a difference in the "K" and "H" in this document.
               Ben

              ________________________________

              ------------ ---------

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 5 2:20 PM
                "Things are not always as they appear." Congratulations Ben, you are developing some of that insight that is essential to this line of work. Most certainly, in this case, archaic/obsolete/regional forms of handwriting are a major factor. Plus, an understanding of the forms of religion in a specific region is critical. While the above is certainly true of church records, it can equally be true of census. The person asked to take the census was often an "important" person in the village, a priest, minister or mayor.

                I often pause and do not provide every line of detail, because I want each of you to take some time to pursue independent research. Lucky for us, the tools and information are all within your reach.

                The other reason I pause is that each village and each scribe has intoned his (really, his) own spin on things. I cannot possible decode each of the more than 2,500 village scribes inner thinking or education. Remember, oftentimes each priest or minister is from and trained in a far-off monastery or seminary, and himself may not embrace the culture and education of the villages in which he ministers.

                Ben's response demonstrates important insight, blending the cultural, geographic, religious and educational aspects into a unique revelation.

                Remember also that Juraj Cisarak has a lot of information on priests.

                Keep up the good work.

                Regards,

                Bill

                ------------ ---------

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 5 2:54 PM
                  I just want to reiterate that AK remains a legitimate alternative to those Thomas has proposed. After reading his post I went to Google.de and checked it out. Between all of these postings on this topic, it is pretty well covered!

                  Ron

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 5 3:31 PM
                     _Plus, an understanding of the forms of religion in a specific region is critical. While the above is certainly true of church records, it can equally be true of census._

                    Thank you Bill, I am seeing that my Historiology class (German and Slavic Genealogy) is not going to waste. :-) I should also point out that the understanding of the area has a "dead giveaway:" The most common forms of religion found there are LISTED IN THE HEADING. :-) It isn't always so easy, but one should also "be aware of his surroundings."

                    This almost Gothic script shows two things- the person was familiar with Latin and had some Germanic-influenced schooling. I am glad that we are not deciphering English Secretary script.... that is far worse than Latin, fraktur, gothic....

                    Ben