Re: [S-R] Re: My visit to the Family History Center Hanusovce - 1869

  • Tom Geiss
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2009
      RE. Village houses

      A friend, who moved there in 1939, wrote to me of her first Christmas over there, (in Spisska Nova Ves, near Markusovce). She said,

      In the kitchen, which was a dirt floor, the week before Christmas they put hay on the floor, and slept on the hay, until Jesus Christ was born.

      By the way, her Grandfather's name was EMERICUS BEDNARIK. Her grandmothe's name was BARBARA ANTONYI. If that rings a bell with anyone, let me know.
      I believe there were also MLYNARCIKs in the family tree?
      Tom
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2009
        Chuck,
        On my last visit to Slovakia I paid a visit to a new found relative. You could call the place a "duplex" as you did. There was one common pitched roof that ran the length of the building. Then there was common wall that ran the length of the building. This created two "houses" under one roof. This was in the village of Plavnica in an area of the Carpathian Mountains where square log houses are a traditional building style. I was told that the duplex had a "skin" of stucco, but the original building was made of the square logs.