RE: [S-R] My visit to the Family History Center Hanusovce - 1869 census

  • MaryLou
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2009
      The census shows 2 under "teh�n" "K�he"

      ML
      -------Original Message-------

      From: Bill Tarkulich
      Date: 12/3/2009 3:35:49 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [S-R] My visit to the Family History Center Hanusovce - 1869
      census

      In 1869, there was a population of 1,563,in 168 houses. That's 9 people
      per house on the average. This was a small town capable of supporting
      multiple churches. Given the house description shown, most people lived
      and slept in one or two rooms, often with the men sleeping in the barn
      with the animals. They probably lived as one nuclear family, not separate
      entities. Your house seems like a 1-floor traditional house. Often the
      "attic" was used to store hay and other preserved/dried foodstuffs, and
      was a rough place to sleep.

      Was it two cows or two oxen?

      It's actually surprising to see people of different denominations in the
      same roof, but anything's possible!

      I can check on the ethnic breakdown of the 1869 census tomorrow, I don't
      have the books here today.

      Bill

      http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_1&SPAM=true&path=C:\Users\MaryLou\AppData\

      > ocal\Panda%20Security\Panda%20Global%20Protection%202010\AntiSpam

      Bill Tarkulich
      http://www.iabsi.com

      ---------------------

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2009
        I decided to browse through a few other households to see if the first one I
        examined was exceptional. The first household was #53; the second one I
        found, #45, also has a primary family consisting of husband, wife, 4
        children and 1 additional person (hired help?). Family 2 consists of
        husband, wife, and 3 children. Family 1 is one religion--RK? Not clear
        enough to be sure. Family 2 is Jewish.

        Husband of Family 1 is listed as mesterség showing he has a craft or trade.
        Husband of Family 2 is napszámos--day laborer?

        ML