RE: [S-R] My visit to the Family History Center Hanusovce - 1869 census

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3, 2009
      In 1869, there was a population of 1,563,in 168 houses. That's 9 people
      per house on the average. This was a small town capable of supporting
      multiple churches. Given the house description shown, most people lived
      and slept in one or two rooms, often with the men sleeping in the barn
      with the animals. They probably lived as one nuclear family, not separate
      entities. Your house seems like a 1-floor traditional house. Often the
      "attic" was used to store hay and other preserved/dried foodstuffs, and
      was a rough place to sleep.

      Was it two cows or two oxen?

      It's actually surprising to see people of different denominations in the
      same roof, but anything's possible!

      I can check on the ethnic breakdown of the 1869 census tomorrow, I don't
      have the books here today.

      Bill

      Bill Tarkulich
      http://www.iabsi.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3, 2009
        Thomas has good points. Something to keep in mind, that all census are a
        snapshot of the moment. You cannot tell if this was a temporary situation
        (i.e., a house burned down), or a long term arrangement.

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 3, 2009
          MaryLou,
          http://www.hanusovcenadtoplou.sk/ is a link to the Hanusovce website.
          I was hoping that within the "Fotogaleria" they would have had some pictures of older buildings. I saw none. It seems to have a lot of "modern" buildings. I'm wondering if during WWII it may have been badly damaged and a new Hanusovce built.

          ---------------------
          Text inserted by Panda GP 2010:

          http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_1&SPAM=true&path=C:\Users\MaryLou\AppData\
          ocal\Panda%20Security\Panda%20Global%20Protection%202010\AntiSpam

        • MaryLou
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 3, 2009
            As a followup to my own message, the families in this village are on my
            father's side of the family.
            MaryLou

            ---------------------

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 3, 2009
              That is certainly possible, Michael. I have looked at this page--loved that
              some of the former mayors were/are related to me! LOL
              I have a couple of pictures that my father took when he visited the village
              in the 1970s--he visited our relatives there and took a few pictures of
              their home. I haven't digitized these yet but when I do I will create an
              album for the group to look at.
              ML

              ---------------------
              Text inserted by Panda GP 2010:

              http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_1&SPAM=true&path=C:\Users\MaryLou\AppData\

              ocal\Panda%20Security\Panda%20Global%20Protection%202010\AntiSpam

              ---------------------
              Text inserted by Panda GP 2010:

              http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_1&SPAM=true&path=C:\Users\MaryLou\AppData\
              ocal\Panda%20Security\Panda%20Global%20Protection%202010\AntiSpam
            • helene cincebeaux
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 3, 2009
                There was a house in Cicmany that was a small house but two families lived there until the 1950s, now it is part of the village museum. There was a doorway and a hallway - the stove was at the end of the hallway for joint use.. Then there was a big room on either side for each family and a sleeping room for each upstairs.

                In reading the old records its suprising to see how many people lived in the old small homes. I understand that long ago they slept on narrow benches in the main room, the parents got the bed, sometimes  the grandparents got one too (these were really narrow looking beds and all in the same room ) - good example of this is in Stara Lubovna skansen museum, homes from the early 1900s. Some times the older people and the children spread a sheepskin atop the tile stove and slept there. Others slept on the floor near the stove.

                Do we ever realize how lucky we are that our ancestors took that big leap to the new world.

                helene

                ________________________________

                ------------ ---------

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 3, 2009
                  Hanusovce nad Toplou = Hanusfalu = Tapolyhanusfalva

                  1910 Census:
                  301 Magyar
                  117 German
                  751 Slovak
                  ---
                  497 Roman Catholic
                  465 Evangelical
                  255 Jewish

                  It's probably fair to assume that the proportions were similar in 1869.

                  Bill
                • Ron
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 5, 2009
                    MaryLou,

                    Yes, in the old days there were 'duplexes' in Slovakia and 'quadriplexes' as well. The word I find in use is Dvojdum for duplex and have a couple of floor plans in two books I have. That is also where I found the floor plans for the four plexes. They have a variety of layouts, but it seems quite simple, on the same principle we often build with in America. The units are sometimes a mirror image of one another. Basically you enter a hallway with a storage room on one side and the living room on the other side. One three chamber unit measures about 4 meters by 11 meters. Another quadriplex has a central hallway and four rooms, each with its own oven. One room per family. Another duplex is an almost symmetrical mirror image with entrance to each unit to its own storage room and on into the family (living) room. Each living room is about 7.5 m x 5m. Each storage room is about 3m x 5 m.

                    General commentary following the one chapter on the houses is not too surprising, stating "a small family (a married couple and their children) and a more numerous family or a big family (more married couples with their children)." "The most common form was with only one inhabited room one store room (larder) and one entrance room. ... wealthier groups of society towards the close of feudalism and in capitalism consistsof another room and a kitchen." Not surprisingly theye talk about function of rooms being modified to fit the changing number of occupants - storage rooms also becoming sleeping rooms, with the living room remaining the only heated room in the house. In the largest families there were sometimes individual rooms for each married couple. One floor plan almost resembles and enclosed motel.

                    The conclusion seems to be that our ancestors were as adaptable and flexible as we are, and they made do with what they had. Imagine what they would think of a 2000 sf house, much less a 4000 sf house!

                    If you want more specifics, contact me off line or perhaps try Slovak World, where the talk is about anything Slovak and not just genealogical.

                    Ron

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "MaryLou" <mlvc@...> wrote:

                    > Bill
                    > I was trying to envision the type of cottage or house this would be and with> 2 entirely different families, I wondered if it was something like a duplex> or if the rooms all were joined. Oh, they owned 2 "horned" cows in the> other breeds category.
                    >
                    > MaryLou

                  • MaryLou
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 5, 2009
                      Fascinating info--thanks.
                      Yes, I am on the Slovak World list also--I am very interested in exploring
                      the way my ancestors lived.

                      ---------------------
                      Text inserted by Panda GP 2010:

                      http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_1&SPAM=true&path=C:\Users\MaryLou\AppData\
                      ocal\Panda%20Security\Panda%20Global%20Protection%202010\AntiSpam
                    • Joe Armata
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 5, 2009
                        Cicmany drew the interest of early ethnographers because it had
                        preserved the tradition of extended families in one house
                        (vel'korodina), similar to a Balkan tradition (zadruga). The parents and
                        their children with their eventual families lived together, with papa
                        and mama ruling the roost. It wasn't uncommon for 30 or 40 people to
                        share a house. Think of it! Apparently it went out by the late 19th
                        century, but traces must have survived in the social thinking of the
                        villagers.

                        Joe