Re: Basanda/Rosko/Zobraka(Zobrachic)/Pales/Stacho

  • JOHN
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2009
      BASIC RESEARCH HELP
      For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

      FamilySearch Wiki has a Slovakia Portal page where you can learn how to find, use, and analyze Slovak records of genealogical value. https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Portal:Slovakia

      CHURCH RECORDS AT LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) LDS FAMILY HISTORY CENTER (FHC)
      The Mormons have been microfilming historic vital records worldwide for decades as part of their mission. The Mormons make their collection available to anyone for viewing at their Family History Centers (FHC). The microfilms are stored in Salt Lake City. When you visit a center, you can "rent" a microfilm, by paying a small fee (abt. $5 per film). The center will order the film on your behalf and notify you when it arrives at their center. You can then use reserve the microfilm readers to view these records.

      There's one more thing to keep in mind about the FHC. For the most part, the FHC volunteers will know NOTHING about research in Slovakia or about the contents of the films. The volunteer may know about his/her own heritage, but that is about it. That's where you need groups like this to point you in the right direction.

      When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village is paramount because records are organized by village not nationally, so it is not possible to search on a national basis. It is also necessary to know the religion. To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town name, go to the LDS web site: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church records cover baptisms (krsteni), marriages (sobeseni) and deaths (zomreli).

      You can go to the Latter Day Saints (LDS) web site to locate your nearest Family History Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.

      TRANSLATION OF HEADERS IN CHURCH RECORDS
      Go to http://www.bmi.net/~latin/ for help with church record translations.
    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2009
        Hi /Sarah,

        You must be related to Clarence Basanda - he lists the Basanda surname in Sobrance and the Rosko and Pales surnames in Nitriansky Pravno very close to Mosovce. These are listed in the Slovak Pride data base as well as another person listing
        Rosko in Nitriansky Pravno (likely the Pravno part got left off the record below).

        If you would like more info on contacting them, please contact me directly at helenezx@....

        helene

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2009
          I am very impressed by the quick responses. Thank you so much! I am following up on all directions, and will continue to do so. And yes, I am related to Clarence!