Basanda/Rosko/Zobraka(Zobrachic)/Pales/Stacho

  • zazzemblop
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2009
      I am looking for ancestors with the above surnames. My immigrant ancestors are:

      Jan Basanda b.1859 in Sobrance, Slovakia d.1935 in Decatur, MI. (parents may be Mikaly Basanda/Ilona Repka)
      His wife, Maria Zobraka (Zobrachic) (sp?) b.1865, d.1932 in Decatur, MI.

      Jan Rosko b.13 JUN 1868, Mosovce, Turiec, Slovakia, d.30 May 1954, Newark, New Jersey, USA

      1st wife Anna Pales, b.14 FEB 1874, Nyitra, Nitriansky, Slovakia, d.1 JAN 1935

      Any information on any of these family lines (or advice for a newbie on how to go about tracking them down) would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Sarah Cannon.
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2009
        Sarah,
        Begin by reading the following - http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/strategy.htm The website has many tools to use.

        The following was found using Slovakia Surame & Settlement search (instructions) within the heading "Toolbox" and on the page under "Places".

        Priezvisko BASANDA sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 36×, celkový pocet lokalít: 9, v lokalitách:
        RUSKOVCE, okr. MICHALOVCE (od r. 1996 SOBRANCE) - 9×;
        MICHALOVCE, okr. MICHALOVCE - 8×;
        SOBRANCE, okr. MICHALOVCE (od r. 1996 SOBRANCE) - 8×;
        RUZINOV (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA - 4×;
        PRESOV, okr. PRESOV - 2×;
        DÚBRAVKA (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA - 2×;
        BUNKOVCE, okr. MICHALOVCE (od r. 1996 SOBRANCE) - 1×;
        NIZNÝ HRUSOV, okr. VRANOV NAD TOPLOU - 1×;
        TIBAVA, okr. MICHALOVCE (od r. 1996 SOBRANCE) - 1×;

        In the 1995 Slovak Census they located 36 men with the surname Basanda that lived in 9 locations.
        The list ends with a number, that is how many Basandas were found there.
        The first name is the name of the place.
        After "okr." is the name of the district the place is in. If there is a ( od.r. date name) that is the name of district the place was in before that date.
        If the first name is followed by (obec name) that means the first work is an area within a large city.
        You will notice that 5 places are in the district Michalovce. And the district Vranov nad Topl'ou neighbors Michalovce. With such a concentration of a surname one can conclude that this is the ancestral area for that surname.

        Use the website and the pages given to learn about your other surnames. Read those "instructions" first.

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2009
          BASIC RESEARCH HELP
          For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

          FamilySearch Wiki has a Slovakia Portal page where you can learn how to find, use, and analyze Slovak records of genealogical value. https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Portal:Slovakia

          CHURCH RECORDS AT LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) LDS FAMILY HISTORY CENTER (FHC)
          The Mormons have been microfilming historic vital records worldwide for decades as part of their mission. The Mormons make their collection available to anyone for viewing at their Family History Centers (FHC). The microfilms are stored in Salt Lake City. When you visit a center, you can "rent" a microfilm, by paying a small fee (abt. $5 per film). The center will order the film on your behalf and notify you when it arrives at their center. You can then use reserve the microfilm readers to view these records.

          There's one more thing to keep in mind about the FHC. For the most part, the FHC volunteers will know NOTHING about research in Slovakia or about the contents of the films. The volunteer may know about his/her own heritage, but that is about it. That's where you need groups like this to point you in the right direction.

          When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village is paramount because records are organized by village not nationally, so it is not possible to search on a national basis. It is also necessary to know the religion. To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town name, go to the LDS web site: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church records cover baptisms (krsteni), marriages (sobeseni) and deaths (zomreli).

          You can go to the Latter Day Saints (LDS) web site to locate your nearest Family History Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.

          TRANSLATION OF HEADERS IN CHURCH RECORDS
          Go to http://www.bmi.net/~latin/ for help with church record translations.
        • JOHN
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2009
            >>> Sobrance, Ung Megye
            >>> Mosovce, Turiec = Turocz Megye
            >>> Nyitra Megye

            1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
            The old Hungarian maps can be found at: http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/

            SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program. CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will likely find in church records.
          • helene cincebeaux
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2009
              Hi /Sarah,

              You must be related to Clarence Basanda - he lists the Basanda surname in Sobrance and the Rosko and Pales surnames in Nitriansky Pravno very close to Mosovce. These are listed in the Slovak Pride data base as well as another person listing
              Rosko in Nitriansky Pravno (likely the Pravno part got left off the record below).

              If you would like more info on contacting them, please contact me directly at helenezx@....

              helene

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 4, 2009
                I am very impressed by the quick responses. Thank you so much! I am following up on all directions, and will continue to do so. And yes, I am related to Clarence!