RE: [S-R] Petricsko Surname in Szacsur, Zemplen County

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2009
      Hi Heather,

      I don't have the family name, but I can give you another source. Numerous
      people, including Mick Sura and Jim have uncovered that the archive in
      Satoraljhely, Hungary contains many records from the areas of Slovakia that
      were in the former Zemplen county. In fact, Mick was able to provide an
      1880s decade of gap records he found there.

      The trick is, someone has to go there to get them, and know what you are
      looking for. The Archive will officially deny holding these records (the
      treaty at the end of WWI called for the repatriation of all records to
      successor countries.) As such, you can't write to the Hungary archives
      requesting them. You would need to hire someone like Mick to go down there
      and make digital copies for you.

      You might also want to consider writing to families in Slovakia with your
      surname. Those closest to the ancestral village would be the most
      productive.

      Regards,

      Bill

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2009
        Hi Heather -

        i have one listing in the Slovak Pride data base with the village of
        Vojcice ZEMPLIN. Maybe I have given this to you already?

        helene

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2009
          Heather,
          I entered your surname, Petricsko, into the Slovak 1995 Census. There were on 3 in all of Slovakia. All three lived in areas within the city of Kosice.
          Priezvisko PETRICSKO sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 3×, celkový pocet lokalít: 2, v lokalitách:
          SEVER (obec KOSICE), okr. KOSICE - 2×;
          SÍDLISKO TAHANOVCE (obec KOSICE), okr. KOSICE - 1×;

          Sacurov
          county: Vranov nad Toplou OLD NAMES of the village(town): 1773 Szacsur, Szacsurow, 1786 Sacschur, 1808 Szacsur, Sacurow, 1863, 1892-1900 Szacsur, 1888, 1902-1913 Szacsúr, 1920- Sacurov

          http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/sacurov/sacurov.html is a link that will give you some information about Sacurov. I provides the mailing address for the City Hall and also its e-mail address. Since English is the second language in Slovakia you might consider writing City Hall an e-mail. Just keep the sentences as simple as possible. Most records kept at the City Halls begin in the late 1800's and early 1900's. You might hope to find something there on your family.

          I entered Petricsko in the online telephone directory and got no hits.

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2009
            >>> I entered Petricsko in the online telephone directory and got no hits. <<<

            Petricko(va) gets 180 hits. Two in Sacurov.