Petricsko Surname in Szacsur, Zemplen County

  • Heather
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
      I've been reading posts for months now and am finally ready to post.

      My ggrandfather JANOS PETRICSKO came from SZACSUR, Zemplen County, Hungary (now Sacurov, Zemplen, Slovakia) to US in 1881. I have found him and his brother and what looks like foster parents on the 1869 census for this town. Vital greek catholic parish records have a 20 year gap before and after his birth, 1858. I've checked FHL.

      My aunt said there is a priest in Canada that has all the information on the Petricsko family tree. A pretty loose lead indeed.

      I would like to extend this line. Does anyone have the surname PETRICSKO in their family tree? Just looking to connect with possible family and get more info on this surname.

      Thank you ahead of time!
      Heather
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2009
        Hi Heather,

        I don't have the family name, but I can give you another source. Numerous
        people, including Mick Sura and Jim have uncovered that the archive in
        Satoraljhely, Hungary contains many records from the areas of Slovakia that
        were in the former Zemplen county. In fact, Mick was able to provide an
        1880s decade of gap records he found there.

        The trick is, someone has to go there to get them, and know what you are
        looking for. The Archive will officially deny holding these records (the
        treaty at the end of WWI called for the repatriation of all records to
        successor countries.) As such, you can't write to the Hungary archives
        requesting them. You would need to hire someone like Mick to go down there
        and make digital copies for you.

        You might also want to consider writing to families in Slovakia with your
        surname. Those closest to the ancestral village would be the most
        productive.

        Regards,

        Bill

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2009
          Hi Heather -

          i have one listing in the Slovak Pride data base with the village of
          Vojcice ZEMPLIN. Maybe I have given this to you already?

          helene

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2009
            Heather,
            I entered your surname, Petricsko, into the Slovak 1995 Census. There were on 3 in all of Slovakia. All three lived in areas within the city of Kosice.
            Priezvisko PETRICSKO sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 3×, celkový pocet lokalít: 2, v lokalitách:
            SEVER (obec KOSICE), okr. KOSICE - 2×;
            SÍDLISKO TAHANOVCE (obec KOSICE), okr. KOSICE - 1×;

            Sacurov
            county: Vranov nad Toplou OLD NAMES of the village(town): 1773 Szacsur, Szacsurow, 1786 Sacschur, 1808 Szacsur, Sacurow, 1863, 1892-1900 Szacsur, 1888, 1902-1913 Szacsúr, 1920- Sacurov

            http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/sacurov/sacurov.html is a link that will give you some information about Sacurov. I provides the mailing address for the City Hall and also its e-mail address. Since English is the second language in Slovakia you might consider writing City Hall an e-mail. Just keep the sentences as simple as possible. Most records kept at the City Halls begin in the late 1800's and early 1900's. You might hope to find something there on your family.

            I entered Petricsko in the online telephone directory and got no hits.

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2009
              >>> I entered Petricsko in the online telephone directory and got no hits. <<<

              Petricko(va) gets 180 hits. Two in Sacurov.