Re: [S-R] Re: Genetic Testing: 3 Tests Tried

  • Margaret Hicks
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 2, 2009
      I had my maternal DNA test done through Family Tree and it came back pretty much telling me nothing. Told when my group came into Europe and that I am a Saami Laplander and that was it. Very disappointed and a waste of $184.00

      Margaret Hicks

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 7, 2010
        I had the Ancestry.com DNA maternal test done and was very upset with the results, it basically said 16,000 years ago some people, Saami's, came into Europe and that was it. The actual test was done by 23 and me. I have talked to them and Ancestry, Ancestry tells me that the maternal DNA test shows very little because maternal has a long memory?? and is to vague and that paternal is the best and gets better results. Of course in their info to sell the testing they don't mention this so $190+ was a total waste and I can't afford to have it done again with another company.

        I am surprised that this writer had such good results. I might as well line the bird cage with the results, they tell me nothing

        Any coments on how one persons gets such great results and I get excuses about mine telling nothing?

        Thanks for listening
        Margaret Hicks

> [...]

        > > The three tests:
        > > The Genographic Project - "Testing My Maternal Ancestry" ($99.95, www.genographic.nationalgeographic.com)
        > > Family Tree DNA - "Examining my Father's Y Chromosome" ($109 - $557, www.familytreedna.com, author took $119 Y chromosome test.)
        > > 23andMe - Scanning for Genome-Wide Associations ($399, www.23andme.com )
        > >
        > > I have taken the Genographic Project test and the Family Tree DNA Y chromosome 37 marker tests.
        > > The article runs for three pages. At the moment there is no link to it at the Discovery magazine website. Possibly next month.
        > >
        > > The first sentence of the last paragraph may be enough for many of you, "Clearly I had hoped for too much for the ancestry tests." For those of you who want to learn more about these tests, read the article.

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 7, 2010
          I don't know enough about DNA testing to answer your questions, but
          identifying Saami in your maternal line might be more interesting than you
          think. The Saami live in northern Finland and Norway, what we used to call
          Lapland, and their language belongs to the Finno-Ugric group. Hungarian is
          also a member of this language group. It is hypothesized that an ancient
          people from east of the Urals eventually split, some going north (to
          Finland), others going southwest and eventually ending up in Hungary. So it
          may be that your maternal ancestors belonged to the original Hungarian
          settlers over 1000 years ago. I am not an expert in this field, but Saami
          did catch my eye.

          Janet

          _____

> [...]

          ancestry."
          > > The three tests:
          > > The Genographic Project - "Testing My Maternal Ancestry" ($99.95,
          www.genographic.nationalgeographic.com)
          > > Family Tree DNA - "Examining my Father's Y Chromosome" ($109 - $557,
          www.familytreedna.com, author took $119 Y chromosome test.)
          > > 23andMe - Scanning for Genome-Wide Associations ($399, www.23andme.com )

          > > I have taken the Genographic Project test and the Family Tree DNA Y
          chromosome 37 marker tests.
          > > The article runs for three pages. At the moment there is no link to it
          at the Discovery magazine website. Possibly next month.

          > > The first sentence of the last paragraph may be enough for many of you,
          "Clearly I had hoped for too much for the ancestry tests." For those of you
          who want to learn more about these tests, read the article.

        • Margo Smith
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 7, 2010
            I have not had any DNA testing done, but I have been and am tempted.  In a nutshell:

            Margaret's maternal test looks at mitochondrial DNA.  What you (regardless of sex) inherit from your mother, mother's mother, mother's mother's mother, etc.  The direct female line.  Yes, the results are more general.  Read the book on the Faces of Eve.  The exact title and author escape me, but it came out in the early 2000s.

            Carolyn refers to a test done on her paternal side.  This looks at Y-DNA.  What a male inherits from his father, father's father, father's father's father, etc.  The direct male line.  These results are more specific.  Read about Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemmings genetic testing (about 1999).  So Carolyn must have persuaded her father or brother to provide the DNA for this test -- she could not provide it herself.

            Why have I not had the testing done?  The mitochondrial test is kind of expensive for the general results I would expect.  And I have no known male relatives who could provide a sample for the Y-DNA test.  I did find some hairs in my father's hair brush after his death in 1995, and saved them, but I'm not sure if they are sufficient for the test.  Otherwise, I have to go back to my great grandfather's brother and see if he had any direct line male descendants who could provide a sample.

            Margo

            ________________________________

> [...]

            > > The three tests:
            > > The Genographic Project - "Testing My Maternal Ancestry" ($99.95, www.genographic. nationalgeograph ic.com)
            > > Family Tree DNA - "Examining my Father's Y Chromosome" ($109 - $557, www.familytreedna. com, author took $119 Y chromosome test.)
            > > 23andMe - Scanning for Genome-Wide Associations ($399, www.23andme. com )
            > >
            > > I have taken the Genographic Project test and the Family Tree DNA Y chromosome 37 marker tests.
            > > The article runs for three pages. At the moment there is no link to it at the Discovery magazine website. Possibly next month.
            > >
            > > The first sentence of the last paragraph may be enough for many of you, "Clearly I had hoped for too much for the ancestry tests." For those of you who want to learn more about these tests, read the article.

          • Margaret Hicks
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 7, 2010
              I new the the Saami were Laplanders, the report about my ancestry did not mention anything further about them, I guess on my own I should have look up their history.

              Margaret

> [...]

              ancestry."
              > > The three tests:
              > > The Genographic Project - "Testing My Maternal Ancestry" ($99.95,
              www.genographic.nationalgeographic.com)
              > > Family Tree DNA - "Examining my Father's Y Chromosome" ($109 - $557,
              www.familytreedna.com, author took $119 Y chromosome test.)
              > > 23andMe - Scanning for Genome-Wide Associations ($399, www.23andme.com )

              > > I have taken the Genographic Project test and the Family Tree DNA Y
              chromosome 37 marker tests.
              > > The article runs for three pages. At the moment there is no link to it
              at the Discovery magazine website. Possibly next month.

              > > The first sentence of the last paragraph may be enough for many of you,
              "Clearly I had hoped for too much for the ancestry tests." For those of you
              who want to learn more about these tests, read the article.

            • jenna-m
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 7, 2010
                On the mitochondrial DNA, there's also an interesting article written by science writer Faye Flam called "One Origin,Many Races" that references the out of Africa or "the Eve hypothesis."
                Jenna

                ________________________________

                ____________ _________ _________ __

              • treimer@nycap.rr.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 7, 2010
                  I had the tests done, too. I am a R1a1 on my Y chromosome, and for the mitochondrial DNA, which mutates less often, the results are not in yet. Remember that each set is only about 1 ancestor among the many who contributed to our genes. They are only the sole identifiable single contributors.

                  I read somewhere that most Magyars are genetically not much magyar since even before they moved West, it seems a long time ago (1000 BC, 500 BC?) a small group of Ugric speakers incorporated many others into their tribe. And this went on of course all the way to today--most Magyars have through intermarriage some Magyar ancestry, but the bulk of their ancestors were not. I did not jot down the source, though. Also. my beloved computer died last Saturday (I bought it in 2006 after another crash, I'll never buy Compaq again).

                  Thomas

                • nilo3rak
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 7, 2010
                    Hi Margaret,

                    You are so right to mention that these companies are in the business of selling DNA testing services. Let the buyer beware.

                    First, mitonchondrial DNA (mtDNA) is virtually useless for genealogical purposes. After all we are dealing with populations from 10,000 to 50,000 years ago. However, if you want to know what and where your ggggggggggggggggggggggggggg+grandmothers were up to in the deep past, go for it. I happen to have a great desire to know where my distant female ancestors may have originated, where they migrated, and where most of them are today. So, I paid top dollar for the full sequence mtDNA. But, I am kind of a science geek; even put my results into NIH's GenBank.

                    For genealogical purposes, Y DNA is the gold standard. You can really hit paydirt with this. For instance, if I were to go to my gggrandfather's ancestral village and get matches with males with the same last name (yes there are many) this would be very telling. Yet, to verify kinship a paper trail leading to that most distant common ancestor would have to established.

                    All this testing - whether to satisfy my curiousity or establish kinship - costs money. So far, no one in my family has volunteered to cover any costs. I am the buyer, and I am aware of what I am paying for, and it is not the genealogical grail.

                    Carolyn
                    Let me add, Sami history and genetics is rather fascinating.

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Margaret Hicks" <m-s6hix2@...> wrote:

                    > I had the Ancestry.com DNA maternal test done and was very upset with the results, it basically said 16,000 years ago some people, Saami's, came into Europe and that was it. The actual test was done by 23 and me. I have talked to them and Ancestry, Ancestry tells me that the maternal DNA test shows very little because maternal has a long memory?? and is to vague and that paternal is the best and gets better results. Of course in their info to sell the testing they don't mention this so $190+ was a total waste and I can't afford to have it done again with another company.
                    >
                    > I am surprised that this writer had such good results. I might as well line the bird cage with the results, they tell me nothing
                    >
                    > Any coments on how one persons gets such great results and I get excuses about mine telling nothing?
                    >
                    > Thanks for listening
                    > Margaret Hicks

                  • Margaret Hicks
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 8, 2010
                      Right now I cannot pay to have it done again. Saving for a big vacation. Maybe in a few months.

                      Thanks for all the comments.
                      .