Re: Visit to Family History Center - Columbia SC

  • Gordon Grening
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 23, 2009
      The Center is closed for Thanksgiving week, will check with the Director next week on where she got the directions to get rid of the equipment and return the films. I'll also have to ask her about the hundreds of microfiches we have, why they have not been sent back.

      As for the films, they were ones which had been put on "permanent hold" years ago, some as far back as 10 or 15 years ago. Turns out there is no such thing as a permanent hold or indefinite loan, at least not now. According to the form we use to order the microfilms [ Microfilm and Microfiche Order Card U.S., Canada, and the Caribbean] you can either rent a film for: Short-term ($5.50 for 30 days), First renewal ($5.50 for another 30 days) or Extended loan ($11 for 1 year). From what I understand these fees are standard for all FHCs.

      The films will still be available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, you just will not be able to rent copies of the them anymore at a local FHC.

      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 24, 2009
        I reached out to my contacts at FHL Salt Lake City. They were concerned enough to get in touch with the Columbia FHC Director.

        Here is the response I received from Salt Lake this afternoon from the Area Manager:

        1. The center recently returned several hundred microfilms that were not being used on a regular basis. This is in line with our direction that, because of limited space, a center should not develop a large collection of indefinite loan films.

        2. They are still ordering films on a weekly basis and have several hundred on hand at all times. If they inadvertently return a film that a patron still needs, they offer to reorder it and waive the loan fee.

        3. They have four microfilm readers. One of these is a reader printer. This amount of equipment seems to adequately accommodate patron needs.

        It appears the information you received was not correct. The above is consistent with my understanding of FHC Operations in general and what I expected.

        So, good news to all. No change in policy, same access before, with a revised equipment inventory.

        Happy Thanksgiving Folks,
        Bill