RE: [S-R] Re: Visit to Family History Center

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 23, 2009
      That sounds crazy to me, certainly putting the cart before the horse. I
      don't think any of us have been expecting that the digitization of millions
      of films could take place within a short period of time. Look at the
      situation with the Presov records. It would not seem to be such a
      time-consuming job to rid those records of post-1895 data, but after several
      weeks they still are not back on line. And what were those 3000 films that
      were sent back? Were they films that had been put on permanent hold? That
      doesn't seem to make sense unless the data on them were actually available
      to the patrons in digitized form. Digitized results on the "pilot" site seem
      to be coming in at an exceedingly slow rate.

      Bill, have you heard anything about the centers divesting themselves of
      equipment like this?

      Janet

      _____

      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 23, 2009
        It sounds like a local decision to me. Our Slavic cataloging staff
        presumes that they films will be around "ad infinitum" so that researchers
        can access a full set of records.

        This would be an extreme disservice to their patrons. Why chuck an
        already established system, that is bought and paid for.

        I notice that South Carolina has a significant number of centers. Perhaps
        they are expecting folks to go to another center for microfilm purposes?
        Rather than speculate, it would be best to contact the staff at Columbia.

        I suspect their are other underlying reasons for this move, perhaps
        staffing, consolidation, funding, space. I am very suprised, since
        Columbia holds a major temple.

        Bill

        Bill Tarkulich
        http://www.iabsi.com
      • Gordon Grening
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 23, 2009
          The Center is closed for Thanksgiving week, will check with the Director next week on where she got the directions to get rid of the equipment and return the films. I'll also have to ask her about the hundreds of microfiches we have, why they have not been sent back.

          As for the films, they were ones which had been put on "permanent hold" years ago, some as far back as 10 or 15 years ago. Turns out there is no such thing as a permanent hold or indefinite loan, at least not now. According to the form we use to order the microfilms [ Microfilm and Microfiche Order Card U.S., Canada, and the Caribbean] you can either rent a film for: Short-term ($5.50 for 30 days), First renewal ($5.50 for another 30 days) or Extended loan ($11 for 1 year). From what I understand these fees are standard for all FHCs.

          The films will still be available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, you just will not be able to rent copies of the them anymore at a local FHC.

          It sounds like a local decision to me. Our Slavic cataloging staff
          presumes that they films will be around "ad infinitum" so that researchers
          can access a full set of records.

          This would be an extreme disservice to their patrons. Why chuck an
          already established system, that is bought and paid for.

          I notice that South Carolina has a significant number of centers. Perhaps
          they are expecting folks to go to another center for microfilm purposes?
          Rather than speculate, it would be best to contact the staff at Columbia.

          I suspect their are other underlying reasons for this move, perhaps
          staffing, consolidation, funding, space. I am very suprised, since
          Columbia holds a major temple.

          Bill

          On Mon, November 23, 2009 8:08 am, Janet Kozlay wrote:
          > That sounds crazy to me, certainly putting the cart before the horse. I
          > don't think any of us have been expecting that the digitization of
          > millions
          > of films could take place within a short period of time. Look at the
          > situation with the Presov records. It would not seem to be such a
          > time-consuming job to rid those records of post-1895 data, but after
          > several
          > weeks they still are not back on line. And what were those 3000 films that
          > were sent back? Were they films that had been put on permanent hold? That
          > doesn't seem to make sense unless the data on them were actually available
          > to the patrons in digitized form. Digitized results on the "pilot" site
          > seem
          > to be coming in at an exceedingly slow rate.
          >

          > Bill, have you heard anything about the centers divesting themselves of
          > equipment like this?
          >

          > Janet
          >

          > _____

          Bill Tarkulich
          http://www.iabsi.com

        • billski
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 24, 2009
            I reached out to my contacts at FHL Salt Lake City. They were concerned enough to get in touch with the Columbia FHC Director.

            Here is the response I received from Salt Lake this afternoon from the Area Manager:

            1. The center recently returned several hundred microfilms that were not being used on a regular basis. This is in line with our direction that, because of limited space, a center should not develop a large collection of indefinite loan films.

            2. They are still ordering films on a weekly basis and have several hundred on hand at all times. If they inadvertently return a film that a patron still needs, they offer to reorder it and waive the loan fee.

            3. They have four microfilm readers. One of these is a reader printer. This amount of equipment seems to adequately accommodate patron needs.

            It appears the information you received was not correct. The above is consistent with my understanding of FHC Operations in general and what I expected.

            So, good news to all. No change in policy, same access before, with a revised equipment inventory.

            Happy Thanksgiving Folks,
            Bill