RE: [S-R] Re: Visit to Family History Center

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 21, 2009
      Here is a description and example of each page:
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/CensusMain.htm#1869Census

      Oftentimes the livestock page is ordered first.

      Bill

      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 22, 2009
        The staff at your center will be able to tell you what equipment is
        available and make recommendations. Each center is different. Some centers
        are fairly large, active, and well equipped; others are tiny, with perhaps a
        single microfilm reader.

        The best of all possible worlds is if your FHC has a scanning microfilm
        reader. I don't know what percentage of the centers have such a reader, but
        it is a godsend. You then have a choice of either making excellent
        photocopies, storing the pages on a flash drive, or both. Downloading onto a
        flash drive doesn't cost a cent and you can examine your data more
        thoroughly at home and make your own copies for free if you wish.

        I know that many people are using cameras, but I am less than thrilled with
        the results. You really need a full frontal view of the pages, which is
        nearly impossible to do with a camera because of the slant.

        Be very wary of relying on notes, even meticulous ones. When I was a
        beginner I took notes, but that was before learning that it was too easy to
        miss seemingly insignificant but important details in the records. Then,
        too, you run into bad handwriting. If you have only notes, no one can help
        you. We want to see not only the entry, but the whole page.

        Janet

      • MaryLou
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 22, 2009
          Wow! I hope my local center has the flash drive capability! Going on Tues
          so I'll let you all know what I find.
          Thanks for all the info.
          MaryLou

[...]

          ---------------------
          Text inserted by Panda GP 2010:

          http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_9337&SPAM=true&path=C:\Documents%20and%20S
          ttings\Mary%20Lou\Local%20Settings\Application%20Data\Panda%20Security\Panda%
          0Global%20Protection%202010\AntiSpam
        • Gordon Grening
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 23, 2009
            Don't know about other FHCs but the one here in Columbia, SC is slowly getting rid of all of their microfilm equipment and microfilms. We are down to 3 readers versus the 7 we use to have; got rid of our scanning reader; got rid of one of the reader/printers; spent this summer boxing up and sending back to Salt Lake City about 3,000 microfilms and donated the cabinets they were in to the state archives.

            According to our Director the FHCs were told to get rid of the films/equipment because of the digitizing of the microfilms. Once the digitizing is done you will no longer be able to order films.

            On the plus side, they have upgraded and increased the number of computers they have, going from 3 to 8 machines. I just finished installing memory upgrades to all of them last month.

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 23, 2009
              That sounds crazy to me, certainly putting the cart before the horse. I
              don't think any of us have been expecting that the digitization of millions
              of films could take place within a short period of time. Look at the
              situation with the Presov records. It would not seem to be such a
              time-consuming job to rid those records of post-1895 data, but after several
              weeks they still are not back on line. And what were those 3000 films that
              were sent back? Were they films that had been put on permanent hold? That
              doesn't seem to make sense unless the data on them were actually available
              to the patrons in digitized form. Digitized results on the "pilot" site seem
              to be coming in at an exceedingly slow rate.

              Bill, have you heard anything about the centers divesting themselves of
              equipment like this?

              Janet

              _____

              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 23, 2009
                It sounds like a local decision to me. Our Slavic cataloging staff
                presumes that they films will be around "ad infinitum" so that researchers
                can access a full set of records.

                This would be an extreme disservice to their patrons. Why chuck an
                already established system, that is bought and paid for.

                I notice that South Carolina has a significant number of centers. Perhaps
                they are expecting folks to go to another center for microfilm purposes?
                Rather than speculate, it would be best to contact the staff at Columbia.

                I suspect their are other underlying reasons for this move, perhaps
                staffing, consolidation, funding, space. I am very suprised, since
                Columbia holds a major temple.

                Bill

                Bill Tarkulich
                http://www.iabsi.com
              • Gordon Grening
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 23, 2009
                  The Center is closed for Thanksgiving week, will check with the Director next week on where she got the directions to get rid of the equipment and return the films. I'll also have to ask her about the hundreds of microfiches we have, why they have not been sent back.

                  As for the films, they were ones which had been put on "permanent hold" years ago, some as far back as 10 or 15 years ago. Turns out there is no such thing as a permanent hold or indefinite loan, at least not now. According to the form we use to order the microfilms [ Microfilm and Microfiche Order Card U.S., Canada, and the Caribbean] you can either rent a film for: Short-term ($5.50 for 30 days), First renewal ($5.50 for another 30 days) or Extended loan ($11 for 1 year). From what I understand these fees are standard for all FHCs.

                  The films will still be available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, you just will not be able to rent copies of the them anymore at a local FHC.

                  It sounds like a local decision to me. Our Slavic cataloging staff
                  presumes that they films will be around "ad infinitum" so that researchers
                  can access a full set of records.

                  This would be an extreme disservice to their patrons. Why chuck an
                  already established system, that is bought and paid for.

                  I notice that South Carolina has a significant number of centers. Perhaps
                  they are expecting folks to go to another center for microfilm purposes?
                  Rather than speculate, it would be best to contact the staff at Columbia.

                  I suspect their are other underlying reasons for this move, perhaps
                  staffing, consolidation, funding, space. I am very suprised, since
                  Columbia holds a major temple.

                  Bill

                  On Mon, November 23, 2009 8:08 am, Janet Kozlay wrote:
                  > That sounds crazy to me, certainly putting the cart before the horse. I
                  > don't think any of us have been expecting that the digitization of
                  > millions
                  > of films could take place within a short period of time. Look at the
                  > situation with the Presov records. It would not seem to be such a
                  > time-consuming job to rid those records of post-1895 data, but after
                  > several
                  > weeks they still are not back on line. And what were those 3000 films that
                  > were sent back? Were they films that had been put on permanent hold? That
                  > doesn't seem to make sense unless the data on them were actually available
                  > to the patrons in digitized form. Digitized results on the "pilot" site
                  > seem
                  > to be coming in at an exceedingly slow rate.
                  >

                  > Bill, have you heard anything about the centers divesting themselves of
                  > equipment like this?
                  >

                  > Janet
                  >

                  > _____

                  Bill Tarkulich
                  http://www.iabsi.com

                • billski
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 24, 2009
                    I reached out to my contacts at FHL Salt Lake City. They were concerned enough to get in touch with the Columbia FHC Director.

                    Here is the response I received from Salt Lake this afternoon from the Area Manager:

                    1. The center recently returned several hundred microfilms that were not being used on a regular basis. This is in line with our direction that, because of limited space, a center should not develop a large collection of indefinite loan films.

                    2. They are still ordering films on a weekly basis and have several hundred on hand at all times. If they inadvertently return a film that a patron still needs, they offer to reorder it and waive the loan fee.

                    3. They have four microfilm readers. One of these is a reader printer. This amount of equipment seems to adequately accommodate patron needs.

                    It appears the information you received was not correct. The above is consistent with my understanding of FHC Operations in general and what I expected.

                    So, good news to all. No change in policy, same access before, with a revised equipment inventory.

                    Happy Thanksgiving Folks,
                    Bill