Re: [S-R] Visit to Family History Center

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 19, 2009
      The Jaso headers are for church records.

      The headers for 1869 census are decoded here:
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/CensusMain.htm#1869Census
      It includes samples, which vary slightly from region to region, though
      most used the same form. There are generally four pages per dwelling.
      One about the dwelling, two about the people, and one for livestock.
      Below each page sample is a "Sample Decoded" link. Click on that to see
      the English interpretation of the example image. It includes titles in
      English and common words used in each column.

      The best use of your time is to bring some spare change and make printed
      or digital copies of the pages that interest you. You'll know which pages
      are interesting because you'll see the surnames you want. I never had
      time enough to decode everything in the FHC. Make a copy, take it home
      and work on it. There are always subtleties and nuances that need further
      pondering and make you ask more questions later. You can then also post
      copies for others to help you with bad handwriting.

      Good Luck,
      Bill

      On Thu, November 19, 2009 5:14 pm, MaryLou wrote:
      > Thank you Michael and John--this was the website I had seen previously but
      > couldn't find my bookmark.
      > MaryLou

      Bill Tarkulich
      http://www.iabsi.com
    • MaryLou
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 19, 2009
        Thanks, Bill
        MaryLou

        http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_9028&SPAM=true&path=C:\Documents%20and%20S
        ttings\Mary%20Lou\Local%20Settings\Application%20Data\Panda%20Security\Panda%
        0Global%20Protection%202010\AntiSpam
      • Ed
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 20, 2009
          Mary Lou,

          I have been taking my digital camera and photographing each page of interest from the film projected on the white base of the film reader. This way I can review the film images at home at my leisure and magnify, add contrast, etc. I have filmed as many as 600 pages in a few hours and then spent days going over the films in detail at home.

          A couple of tricks
          1. I place a slip of paper with the year on it on the reader base whenever I move from one year to the next. This helps me keep track of where I am.
          2. Sometimes it's hard to get the whole page in focus, so you have to play around. If particularly bad I might have to take two picture, ie. top and bottom of page to get a clear image of the whole page
          3. Shoot at the maximum camera resolution, since this makes magnification and home manipulation of higher quality.
          4. When I shot 600 images, this did take a lot of memory, both in the camera and on my PC, so I cleaned up my camera memory card before I went and after I got home, burned the images from my PC to DVD's

          ED
        • MaryLou
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 20, 2009
            Thanks--I was wondering if anyone did it with a camera--seems more cost
            effective than paying for copies.

            http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_9148&SPAM=true&path=C:\Documents%20and%20S
            ttings\Mary%20Lou\Local%20Settings\Application%20Data\Panda%20Security\Panda%
            0Global%20Protection%202010\AntiSpam
          • hyperlexiadaddy
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 20, 2009
              I recall that the first page lists how many animals the family had, and what kind. I didn't know what it said at the time, so I took meticulous notes of what I was sure was important information :-)
              Dave
              BTW, check out the houses close by...you'll likely turn up neighbors who are related...Dave

              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 21, 2009
                Here is a description and example of each page:
                http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/CensusMain.htm#1869Census

                Oftentimes the livestock page is ordered first.

                Bill

                I recall that the first page lists how many animals the family had, and what
                kind. I didn't know what it said at the time, so I took meticulous notes of
                what I was sure was important information :-)
                Dave
                BTW, check out the houses close by...you'll likely turn up neighbors who are
                related...Dave

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "MaryLou" <mlvc@...> wrote:

                > For the first time, I have a film waiting at the Family History Center. I
                > ordered a copy of the 1869 census for the home village of my ancestors.
                >
                > I would love to know what to expect; will I be able to make copies of the
                > entire film page by page? Do I need to take a digital camera to take
                > pictures of the film?
                >
                > I know it was a Magyar Census--that is the same as Hungarian, right? I
                > remember seeing a website that had a translation of the most common terms
                > used in the census but now I can't find it. Anyone have that website?
                >
                > Any suggestions for making the most efficient use of my time at the
                Center?

                > Thanks,
                > MaryLou

              • Janet Kozlay
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 22, 2009
                  The staff at your center will be able to tell you what equipment is
                  available and make recommendations. Each center is different. Some centers
                  are fairly large, active, and well equipped; others are tiny, with perhaps a
                  single microfilm reader.

                  The best of all possible worlds is if your FHC has a scanning microfilm
                  reader. I don't know what percentage of the centers have such a reader, but
                  it is a godsend. You then have a choice of either making excellent
                  photocopies, storing the pages on a flash drive, or both. Downloading onto a
                  flash drive doesn't cost a cent and you can examine your data more
                  thoroughly at home and make your own copies for free if you wish.

                  I know that many people are using cameras, but I am less than thrilled with
                  the results. You really need a full frontal view of the pages, which is
                  nearly impossible to do with a camera because of the slant.

                  Be very wary of relying on notes, even meticulous ones. When I was a
                  beginner I took notes, but that was before learning that it was too easy to
                  miss seemingly insignificant but important details in the records. Then,
                  too, you run into bad handwriting. If you have only notes, no one can help
                  you. We want to see not only the entry, but the whole page.

                  Janet

                • MaryLou
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 22, 2009
                    Wow! I hope my local center has the flash drive capability! Going on Tues
                    so I'll let you all know what I find.
                    Thanks for all the info.
                    MaryLou

                    http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_9337&SPAM=true&path=C:\Documents%20and%20S
                    ttings\Mary%20Lou\Local%20Settings\Application%20Data\Panda%20Security\Panda%
                    0Global%20Protection%202010\AntiSpam
                  • Gordon Grening
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 23, 2009
                      Don't know about other FHCs but the one here in Columbia, SC is slowly getting rid of all of their microfilm equipment and microfilms. We are down to 3 readers versus the 7 we use to have; got rid of our scanning reader; got rid of one of the reader/printers; spent this summer boxing up and sending back to Salt Lake City about 3,000 microfilms and donated the cabinets they were in to the state archives.

                      According to our Director the FHCs were told to get rid of the films/equipment because of the digitizing of the microfilms. Once the digitizing is done you will no longer be able to order films.

                      On the plus side, they have upgraded and increased the number of computers they have, going from 3 to 8 machines. I just finished installing memory upgrades to all of them last month.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 23, 2009
                        That sounds crazy to me, certainly putting the cart before the horse. I
                        don't think any of us have been expecting that the digitization of millions
                        of films could take place within a short period of time. Look at the
                        situation with the Presov records. It would not seem to be such a
                        time-consuming job to rid those records of post-1895 data, but after several
                        weeks they still are not back on line. And what were those 3000 films that
                        were sent back? Were they films that had been put on permanent hold? That
                        doesn't seem to make sense unless the data on them were actually available
                        to the patrons in digitized form. Digitized results on the "pilot" site seem
                        to be coming in at an exceedingly slow rate.

                        Bill, have you heard anything about the centers divesting themselves of
                        equipment like this?

                        Janet

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 23, 2009
                          It sounds like a local decision to me. Our Slavic cataloging staff
                          presumes that they films will be around "ad infinitum" so that researchers
                          can access a full set of records.

                          This would be an extreme disservice to their patrons. Why chuck an
                          already established system, that is bought and paid for.

                          I notice that South Carolina has a significant number of centers. Perhaps
                          they are expecting folks to go to another center for microfilm purposes?
                          Rather than speculate, it would be best to contact the staff at Columbia.

                          I suspect their are other underlying reasons for this move, perhaps
                          staffing, consolidation, funding, space. I am very suprised, since
                          Columbia holds a major temple.

                          Bill

                          Bill Tarkulich
                          http://www.iabsi.com
                        • Gordon Grening
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 23, 2009
                            The Center is closed for Thanksgiving week, will check with the Director next week on where she got the directions to get rid of the equipment and return the films. I'll also have to ask her about the hundreds of microfiches we have, why they have not been sent back.

                            As for the films, they were ones which had been put on "permanent hold" years ago, some as far back as 10 or 15 years ago. Turns out there is no such thing as a permanent hold or indefinite loan, at least not now. According to the form we use to order the microfilms [ Microfilm and Microfiche Order Card U.S., Canada, and the Caribbean] you can either rent a film for: Short-term ($5.50 for 30 days), First renewal ($5.50 for another 30 days) or Extended loan ($11 for 1 year). From what I understand these fees are standard for all FHCs.

                            The films will still be available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, you just will not be able to rent copies of the them anymore at a local FHC.

                            It sounds like a local decision to me. Our Slavic cataloging staff
                            presumes that they films will be around "ad infinitum" so that researchers
                            can access a full set of records.

                            This would be an extreme disservice to their patrons. Why chuck an
                            already established system, that is bought and paid for.

                            I notice that South Carolina has a significant number of centers. Perhaps
                            they are expecting folks to go to another center for microfilm purposes?
                            Rather than speculate, it would be best to contact the staff at Columbia.

                            I suspect their are other underlying reasons for this move, perhaps
                            staffing, consolidation, funding, space. I am very suprised, since
                            Columbia holds a major temple.

                            Bill

                            On Mon, November 23, 2009 8:08 am, Janet Kozlay wrote:
                            > That sounds crazy to me, certainly putting the cart before the horse. I
                            > don't think any of us have been expecting that the digitization of
                            > millions
                            > of films could take place within a short period of time. Look at the
                            > situation with the Presov records. It would not seem to be such a
                            > time-consuming job to rid those records of post-1895 data, but after
                            > several
                            > weeks they still are not back on line. And what were those 3000 films that
                            > were sent back? Were they films that had been put on permanent hold? That
                            > doesn't seem to make sense unless the data on them were actually available
                            > to the patrons in digitized form. Digitized results on the "pilot" site
                            > seem
                            > to be coming in at an exceedingly slow rate.
                            >

                            > Bill, have you heard anything about the centers divesting themselves of
                            > equipment like this?
                            >

                            > Janet
                            >

                            > _____

                            Bill Tarkulich
                            http://www.iabsi.com

                          • billski
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 24, 2009
                              I reached out to my contacts at FHL Salt Lake City. They were concerned enough to get in touch with the Columbia FHC Director.

                              Here is the response I received from Salt Lake this afternoon from the Area Manager:

                              1. The center recently returned several hundred microfilms that were not being used on a regular basis. This is in line with our direction that, because of limited space, a center should not develop a large collection of indefinite loan films.

                              2. They are still ordering films on a weekly basis and have several hundred on hand at all times. If they inadvertently return a film that a patron still needs, they offer to reorder it and waive the loan fee.

                              3. They have four microfilm readers. One of these is a reader printer. This amount of equipment seems to adequately accommodate patron needs.

                              It appears the information you received was not correct. The above is consistent with my understanding of FHC Operations in general and what I expected.

                              So, good news to all. No change in policy, same access before, with a revised equipment inventory.

                              Happy Thanksgiving Folks,
                              Bill