Re: [S-R] Re: Visit to Family History Center

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 19, 2009
      Click on the heading FHL Resources

      From: JOHN
      Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2009 12:48 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [S-R] Re: Visit to Family History Center

      Answers to all your questions are found at: http://iabsi.com/

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 19, 2009
        At the website John gave you click on the heading "Toolbox". There is a heading Language & Terminology that will give you a lot of resources you can use. One in particular "Jaso-Headers" is very useful because it tells you what the record columns have in them in three languages.

        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 19, 2009
          Thank you Michael and John--this was the website I had seen previously but
          couldn't find my bookmark.
          MaryLou

          For the first time, I have a film waiting at the Family History Center. I
          ordered a copy of the 1869 census for the home village of my ancestors.

          I would love to know what to expect; will I be able to make copies of the
          entire film page by page? Do I need to take a digital camera to take
          pictures of the film?

          I know it was a Magyar Census--that is the same as Hungarian, right? I
          remember seeing a website that had a translation of the most common terms
          used in the census but now I can't find it. Anyone have that website?

          Any suggestions for making the most efficient use of my time at the Center?

          Thanks,
          MaryLou

          ---------------------
          Text inserted by Panda GP 2010:

          http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_9019&SPAM=true&path=C:\Documents%20and%20S
          ttings\Mary%20Lou\Local%20Settings\Application%20Data\Panda%20Security\Panda%
          0Global%20Protection%202010\AntiSpam
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 19, 2009
            The Jaso headers are for church records.

            The headers for 1869 census are decoded here:
            http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/CensusMain.htm#1869Census
            It includes samples, which vary slightly from region to region, though
            most used the same form. There are generally four pages per dwelling.
            One about the dwelling, two about the people, and one for livestock.
            Below each page sample is a "Sample Decoded" link. Click on that to see
            the English interpretation of the example image. It includes titles in
            English and common words used in each column.

            The best use of your time is to bring some spare change and make printed
            or digital copies of the pages that interest you. You'll know which pages
            are interesting because you'll see the surnames you want. I never had
            time enough to decode everything in the FHC. Make a copy, take it home
            and work on it. There are always subtleties and nuances that need further
            pondering and make you ask more questions later. You can then also post
            copies for others to help you with bad handwriting.

            Good Luck,
            Bill

            On Thu, November 19, 2009 5:14 pm, MaryLou wrote:
            > Thank you Michael and John--this was the website I had seen previously but
            > couldn't find my bookmark.
            > MaryLou

            Bill Tarkulich
            http://www.iabsi.com
          • MaryLou
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 19, 2009
              Thanks, Bill
              MaryLou

              http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_9028&SPAM=true&path=C:\Documents%20and%20S
              ttings\Mary%20Lou\Local%20Settings\Application%20Data\Panda%20Security\Panda%
              0Global%20Protection%202010\AntiSpam
            • Ed
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 20, 2009
                Mary Lou,

                I have been taking my digital camera and photographing each page of interest from the film projected on the white base of the film reader. This way I can review the film images at home at my leisure and magnify, add contrast, etc. I have filmed as many as 600 pages in a few hours and then spent days going over the films in detail at home.

                A couple of tricks
                1. I place a slip of paper with the year on it on the reader base whenever I move from one year to the next. This helps me keep track of where I am.
                2. Sometimes it's hard to get the whole page in focus, so you have to play around. If particularly bad I might have to take two picture, ie. top and bottom of page to get a clear image of the whole page
                3. Shoot at the maximum camera resolution, since this makes magnification and home manipulation of higher quality.
                4. When I shot 600 images, this did take a lot of memory, both in the camera and on my PC, so I cleaned up my camera memory card before I went and after I got home, burned the images from my PC to DVD's

                ED
              • MaryLou
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 20, 2009
                  Thanks--I was wondering if anyone did it with a camera--seems more cost
                  effective than paying for copies.

                  http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_9148&SPAM=true&path=C:\Documents%20and%20S
                  ttings\Mary%20Lou\Local%20Settings\Application%20Data\Panda%20Security\Panda%
                  0Global%20Protection%202010\AntiSpam
                • hyperlexiadaddy
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 20, 2009
                    I recall that the first page lists how many animals the family had, and what kind. I didn't know what it said at the time, so I took meticulous notes of what I was sure was important information :-)
                    Dave
                    BTW, check out the houses close by...you'll likely turn up neighbors who are related...Dave

                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 21, 2009
                      Here is a description and example of each page:
                      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/CensusMain.htm#1869Census

                      Oftentimes the livestock page is ordered first.

                      Bill

                      I recall that the first page lists how many animals the family had, and what
                      kind. I didn't know what it said at the time, so I took meticulous notes of
                      what I was sure was important information :-)
                      Dave
                      BTW, check out the houses close by...you'll likely turn up neighbors who are
                      related...Dave

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "MaryLou" <mlvc@...> wrote:

                      > For the first time, I have a film waiting at the Family History Center. I
                      > ordered a copy of the 1869 census for the home village of my ancestors.
                      >
                      > I would love to know what to expect; will I be able to make copies of the
                      > entire film page by page? Do I need to take a digital camera to take
                      > pictures of the film?
                      >
                      > I know it was a Magyar Census--that is the same as Hungarian, right? I
                      > remember seeing a website that had a translation of the most common terms
                      > used in the census but now I can't find it. Anyone have that website?
                      >
                      > Any suggestions for making the most efficient use of my time at the
                      Center?

                      > Thanks,
                      > MaryLou

                    • Janet Kozlay
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 22, 2009
                        The staff at your center will be able to tell you what equipment is
                        available and make recommendations. Each center is different. Some centers
                        are fairly large, active, and well equipped; others are tiny, with perhaps a
                        single microfilm reader.

                        The best of all possible worlds is if your FHC has a scanning microfilm
                        reader. I don't know what percentage of the centers have such a reader, but
                        it is a godsend. You then have a choice of either making excellent
                        photocopies, storing the pages on a flash drive, or both. Downloading onto a
                        flash drive doesn't cost a cent and you can examine your data more
                        thoroughly at home and make your own copies for free if you wish.

                        I know that many people are using cameras, but I am less than thrilled with
                        the results. You really need a full frontal view of the pages, which is
                        nearly impossible to do with a camera because of the slant.

                        Be very wary of relying on notes, even meticulous ones. When I was a
                        beginner I took notes, but that was before learning that it was too easy to
                        miss seemingly insignificant but important details in the records. Then,
                        too, you run into bad handwriting. If you have only notes, no one can help
                        you. We want to see not only the entry, but the whole page.

                        Janet

                      • MaryLou
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 22, 2009
                          Wow! I hope my local center has the flash drive capability! Going on Tues
                          so I'll let you all know what I find.
                          Thanks for all the info.
                          MaryLou

                          http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_9337&SPAM=true&path=C:\Documents%20and%20S
                          ttings\Mary%20Lou\Local%20Settings\Application%20Data\Panda%20Security\Panda%
                          0Global%20Protection%202010\AntiSpam
                        • Gordon Grening
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 23, 2009
                            Don't know about other FHCs but the one here in Columbia, SC is slowly getting rid of all of their microfilm equipment and microfilms. We are down to 3 readers versus the 7 we use to have; got rid of our scanning reader; got rid of one of the reader/printers; spent this summer boxing up and sending back to Salt Lake City about 3,000 microfilms and donated the cabinets they were in to the state archives.

                            According to our Director the FHCs were told to get rid of the films/equipment because of the digitizing of the microfilms. Once the digitizing is done you will no longer be able to order films.

                            On the plus side, they have upgraded and increased the number of computers they have, going from 3 to 8 machines. I just finished installing memory upgrades to all of them last month.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 23, 2009
                              That sounds crazy to me, certainly putting the cart before the horse. I
                              don't think any of us have been expecting that the digitization of millions
                              of films could take place within a short period of time. Look at the
                              situation with the Presov records. It would not seem to be such a
                              time-consuming job to rid those records of post-1895 data, but after several
                              weeks they still are not back on line. And what were those 3000 films that
                              were sent back? Were they films that had been put on permanent hold? That
                              doesn't seem to make sense unless the data on them were actually available
                              to the patrons in digitized form. Digitized results on the "pilot" site seem
                              to be coming in at an exceedingly slow rate.

                              Bill, have you heard anything about the centers divesting themselves of
                              equipment like this?

                              Janet

                              _____

                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 23, 2009
                                It sounds like a local decision to me. Our Slavic cataloging staff
                                presumes that they films will be around "ad infinitum" so that researchers
                                can access a full set of records.

                                This would be an extreme disservice to their patrons. Why chuck an
                                already established system, that is bought and paid for.

                                I notice that South Carolina has a significant number of centers. Perhaps
                                they are expecting folks to go to another center for microfilm purposes?
                                Rather than speculate, it would be best to contact the staff at Columbia.

                                I suspect their are other underlying reasons for this move, perhaps
                                staffing, consolidation, funding, space. I am very suprised, since
                                Columbia holds a major temple.

                                Bill

                                Bill Tarkulich
                                http://www.iabsi.com
                              • Gordon Grening
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 23, 2009
                                  The Center is closed for Thanksgiving week, will check with the Director next week on where she got the directions to get rid of the equipment and return the films. I'll also have to ask her about the hundreds of microfiches we have, why they have not been sent back.

                                  As for the films, they were ones which had been put on "permanent hold" years ago, some as far back as 10 or 15 years ago. Turns out there is no such thing as a permanent hold or indefinite loan, at least not now. According to the form we use to order the microfilms [ Microfilm and Microfiche Order Card U.S., Canada, and the Caribbean] you can either rent a film for: Short-term ($5.50 for 30 days), First renewal ($5.50 for another 30 days) or Extended loan ($11 for 1 year). From what I understand these fees are standard for all FHCs.

                                  The films will still be available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, you just will not be able to rent copies of the them anymore at a local FHC.

                                  It sounds like a local decision to me. Our Slavic cataloging staff
                                  presumes that they films will be around "ad infinitum" so that researchers
                                  can access a full set of records.

                                  This would be an extreme disservice to their patrons. Why chuck an
                                  already established system, that is bought and paid for.

                                  I notice that South Carolina has a significant number of centers. Perhaps
                                  they are expecting folks to go to another center for microfilm purposes?
                                  Rather than speculate, it would be best to contact the staff at Columbia.

                                  I suspect their are other underlying reasons for this move, perhaps
                                  staffing, consolidation, funding, space. I am very suprised, since
                                  Columbia holds a major temple.

                                  Bill

                                  On Mon, November 23, 2009 8:08 am, Janet Kozlay wrote:
                                  > That sounds crazy to me, certainly putting the cart before the horse. I
                                  > don't think any of us have been expecting that the digitization of
                                  > millions
                                  > of films could take place within a short period of time. Look at the
                                  > situation with the Presov records. It would not seem to be such a
                                  > time-consuming job to rid those records of post-1895 data, but after
                                  > several
                                  > weeks they still are not back on line. And what were those 3000 films that
                                  > were sent back? Were they films that had been put on permanent hold? That
                                  > doesn't seem to make sense unless the data on them were actually available
                                  > to the patrons in digitized form. Digitized results on the "pilot" site
                                  > seem
                                  > to be coming in at an exceedingly slow rate.
                                  >

                                  > Bill, have you heard anything about the centers divesting themselves of
                                  > equipment like this?
                                  >

                                  > Janet
                                  >

                                  > _____

                                  Bill Tarkulich
                                  http://www.iabsi.com

                                • billski
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 24, 2009
                                    I reached out to my contacts at FHL Salt Lake City. They were concerned enough to get in touch with the Columbia FHC Director.

                                    Here is the response I received from Salt Lake this afternoon from the Area Manager:

                                    1. The center recently returned several hundred microfilms that were not being used on a regular basis. This is in line with our direction that, because of limited space, a center should not develop a large collection of indefinite loan films.

                                    2. They are still ordering films on a weekly basis and have several hundred on hand at all times. If they inadvertently return a film that a patron still needs, they offer to reorder it and waive the loan fee.

                                    3. They have four microfilm readers. One of these is a reader printer. This amount of equipment seems to adequately accommodate patron needs.

                                    It appears the information you received was not correct. The above is consistent with my understanding of FHC Operations in general and what I expected.

                                    So, good news to all. No change in policy, same access before, with a revised equipment inventory.

                                    Happy Thanksgiving Folks,
                                    Bill