Kijo, Slovakia years: 1764 Johan Dusnak

  • snowflakefl@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 13, 2009
      I have been searching for information on Johan Dusnak who arrived on Ellis Island in 1896 arriving from Bremen aboard the SS Aachen from Kijo, Slovakia. He was born in 1864. Came to Carbondale, PA to work in the mines. Cannot find any additional info. His son or brother, George Dusnak arrived Ellis Island 1900 and lived in Wisconsin and Florida. Also a half-brother Vasili Pavlovsky left Kijo in 1899 and livwed in Wisconsin and Connecticut.

      Any suggestions are appreciated a I am a novice at Genealogy.Thanks.

      Alice-Lorraine Dusnak
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 13, 2009
        Alice,
        About Kijo: Kyjov SL/PV saris.
        1773 Kijo, Kijó, Kijow, 1786 Kijo, 1808 Kijó, Kió, Kyow, 1863-1913 Kijó, 1920- Kyjov

        As you can see, from 1920 on it is spelled Kyjov. During the period your relatives lived there it was Kijo. I know this village because during my six trips to Slovakia I have driven past it many time on the way to my ancestral village of Hromos 9 miles more to the west. Kyjov is about 9 miles from the Polish boarder. It sits about a mile off Highway 68. The nearest large city is Stara Lubovna about 15 miles west of Kyjov.

        Here is a link to a fact page on Kyjov - http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/kyjov/kyjov.html You are very lucky. The village web page has an English version. Enjoy! There is also an e-mail address for writing City Hall. Since English is now the second language taught in school it can be worth while writing them. In simple sentences give them all the information you have.

        I searched the 1995 Slovak Census for Dusnak. There was no one by that spelling. It listed 8 alternatives. None of those lived in Stara Lubovna District where Kyjov is located. This is going to make your task more difficult. You need to know if Dusnak is how the family name was spelled. The easiest way is to look in the films of the records for Kyjov. (See below)

        I did the same for Pavlovsky. It had 219 listings in 64 locations. Stara Lubovna had 13 and Puste Pole had 12, both are in Stara Lubovna District. Puste Pole is two miles from Kyjov. Two nearby towns; Sabinov had 12 and Lipany 11. From another source I did find that there was one Pavlovsky living in Kyjov. Juraj Pavlovsky 132 Kyjov Telephone (052) 492-5143. The telephone directory had 90 listing. Some in each of the four towns.

        Here is the listing for the Kyjov records you can order at your nearest Family History Center. The records were online, now removed, but will return.
        Title
        Cirkevná matrika, 1815-1952

        Authors
        Grécko-katolícka cirkev. Farský úrad Kyjov (Sabinov) (Main Author)

        Notes
        Pôvodné dokumenty boli mikrofilmované v Státnom oblastnom archíve v Levoci.
        Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Kyjov, Slovakia, formerly Kijó, Sáros, Hungary. Text in Latin, Hungarian and Ruthenian.
        Inv. c. 519-524.

        Subjects
        Slovakia, Stará Lubovna, Kyjov - Church records
        Czechoslovakia, Slovensko, Sabinov, Kyjov - Church records
        Hungary, Sáros, Kijó - Church records

        Format
        Manuscript (On Film)

        Language
        Latin
        Hungarian
        Ukrainian

        Publication
        Salt Lake City, Utah : Mikrofilmy boli zhotovené Genealogickou spolocnostou státu Utah, 1993

        Physical
        na 2 mikrofilmovaných kotucoch ; 35 mm.

        Film Notes
        Note - Location [Film]
        Inv. c. 519 Krsty 1815-1842 -- Úmrtia 1840-1842, 1823-1839 -- Uzavreté manzelstvá 1824-1844 -- Cirkevné úcty 1823-1826 -- Inv. c. 520 Krsty 1842-1858 -- Úmrtia 1842-1858 -- Uzavreté manzelstvá 1844-1858 - FHL INTL Film [ 1792394 Items 5 - 6 ]
        Inv. c. 521 Krsty 1859-1889 -- Inv. c. 522 Úmrtia 1859-1898 -- Krsty 1890-1898 -- Inv. c. 523 Uzavreté manzelstvá 1860-1908, 1899-1952 -- Inv. c. 524 Druhopisy krstov, uzavretých manzelstiev, úmrtí 1875-1895 - FHL INTL Film [ 1792395 Items 1 - 4 ]

        I have been searching for information on Johan Dusnak who arrived on Ellis Island in 1896 arriving from Bremen aboard the SS Aachen from Kijo, Slovakia. He was born in 1864. Came to Carbondale, PA to work in the mines. Cannot find any additional info. His son or brother, George Dusnak arrived Ellis Island 1900 and lived in Wisconsin and Florida. Also a half-brother Vasili Pavlovsky left Kijo in 1899 and livwed in Wisconsin and Connecticut.

        Any suggestions are appreciated a I am a novice at Genealogy.Thanks.

        Alice-Lorraine Dusnak

      • Alice-Lorraine von Halle
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 14, 2009
          Thank you Michael, for all the information about Kijo, the links and suggestions too.  This has given me some hope and at least now I know that there is such a place!  I shall continue and try different spellings.

          It was easier getting info on the maternal side since  they came from Stary Hrozenkov, CZ.  I almost made it there a few years ago but spent all the time in Prague.

          Thanks again.
          Alice-Lorraine

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 14, 2009
            Alice-Lorraine,
            Glad to help you.
            For your Favorites, Stary Hrozenkov's website - http://www.staryhrozenkov.cz/ Sorry, no English version.
            Are you aware that there is a Kyjov, CZ that isn't too far from Stary Hrozenkov? My question then becomes, are you sure that the Kijo / Kyjov you are looking for is the Slovak one?

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 14, 2009
              Thanks Michael, now I have more to figure out!  I know my mother's people are from Stary Hrozenkov and are still there (Jurena).  I correspond with a cousin and that is in my "elementary Czech" which she doesn't mind.  Sadly, when my Dad was alive, I never questioned him about where he was from.etc.  We spoke Slovak at home and their friends were all Slovak, so now I don't know.  I will contact Pavlovsky, which might help.  Dad's Ellis Island paper shows ethnicity as Austria, Hungarian..

              Back to work looking through papers.
              Thanks.  Alice-Lorraine

              ________________________________

              ____________ _________ _________ __

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 14, 2009
                Alice-Lorraine,
                One has to have a historical perspective to appreciate that those national borders in place now have not always been. Stary Hrozenkov today is a mile and half from the Slovak border. During Czechoslovakia there was no border. The same for the era when the Austro-Hungarian Empire ruled over the area. And before that Hungary. It could very well be that the language spoken in Stary Hrozenkov for most of its history was Slovak. The modern Slovak borders has within it 40 dialects of Slovak. There are dialects that other Slovaks do not understand. Whereas Kyjov, SK is in the Goral dialect zone. Goral was a dialect that was spoken on both sides of the Carpathian Mountains. So the Poles who spoke Goral were culturally tied to the Goral Slovaks. More than likely they were also economically co-joined. Before modern times borders had no real meaning. People had social and economic zones that had no regard for borders. Now with the EU it is true again. It was strange to drive across the Polish and Hungarian borders and not have to stop to have ID's or passports checked. As far as borders go it is now the United States of Europe.
                As I understand it, your maternal side is from Stary Hrozenkov and your paternal side from Kyjov. If your parents met in America it could just be one of those coincidences that Kyjov happens to be the name of a village that is so near your maternal village.

                Are you aware that there is a Kyjov, CZ that isn't too far from Stary Hrozenkov? My question then becomes, are you sure that the Kijo / Kyjov you are looking for is the Slovak one?

                I have been searching for information on Johan Dusnak who arrived on Ellis Island in 1896 arriving from Bremen aboard the SS Aachen from Kijo, Slovakia. He was born in 1864. Came to Carbondale, PA to work in the mines. Cannot find any additional info. His son or brother, George Dusnak arrived Ellis Island 1900 and lived in Wisconsin and Florida. Also a half-brother Vasili Pavlovsky left Kijo in 1899 and livwed in Wisconsin and Connecticut.

                Any suggestions are appreciated a I am a novice at Genealogy.Thanks.

                Alice-Lorraine Dusnak

              • liese niedermayer
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 17, 2009
                  Hello -

                  One spelling found and connected to Kijo/Kyjov Slovakia is Duzenak - Bridgeport, CT. If I find anything else I'll email you. Michael is very informative.

                  - Liese

                  To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                  1773 Kijo, Kij�, Kijow, 1786 Kijo, 1808 Kij�, Ki�, Kyow, 1863-1913 Kij�, 1920- Kyjov

[...]

                  Cirkevn� matrika, 1815-1952

                  Authors
                  Gr�cko-katol�cka cirkev. Farsk� �rad Kyjov (Sabinov) (Main Author)

                  Notes
                  P�vodn� dokumenty boli mikrofilmovan� v St�tnom oblastnom arch�ve v Levoci.
                  Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Kyjov, Slovakia, formerly Kij�, S�ros, Hungary. Text in Latin, Hungarian and Ruthenian.
                  Inv. c. 519-524.

                  Subjects
                  Slovakia, Star� Lubovna, Kyjov - Church records
                  Czechoslovakia, Slovensko, Sabinov, Kyjov - Church records
                  Hungary, S�ros, Kij� - Church records

                  Format
                  Manuscript (On Film)

                  Language
                  Latin
                  Hungarian
                  Ukrainian

                  Publication
                  Salt Lake City, Utah : Mikrofilmy boli zhotoven� Genealogickou spolocnostou st�tu Utah, 1993

                  Physical
                  na 2 mikrofilmovan� ch kotucoch ; 35 mm.

                  Film Notes
                  Note - Location [Film]
                  Inv. c. 519 Krsty 1815-1842 -- �mrtia 1840-1842, 1823-1839 -- Uzavret� manzelstv� 1824-1844 -- Cirkevn� �cty 1823-1826 -- Inv. c. 520 Krsty 1842-1858 -- �mrtia 1842-1858 -- Uzavret� manzelstv� 1844-1858 - FHL INTL Film [ 1792394 Items 5 - 6 ]
                  Inv. c. 521 Krsty 1859-1889 -- Inv. c. 522 �mrtia 1859-1898 -- Krsty 1890-1898 -- Inv. c. 523 Uzavret� manzelstv� 1860-1908, 1899-1952 -- Inv. c. 524 Druhopisy krstov, uzavret�ch manzelstiev, �mrt� 1875-1895 - FHL INTL Film [ 1792395 Items 1 - 4 ]

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 18, 2009
                    Thanks Liese, I appreciate your info.
                    Yes, Michael has given me a lot of sugestions and guidelines of which I am gratelful and studying.
                    It seems the more I look the more there is to figure out but I will do it!

                    I also found a "Duzenack" and/or "Durnak" in Colorado.  In Mass. I found a Joseph & Alice Dusnak
                    in the 1900 US Federal Census but after that they seemed to disappear. Their parents were from England and Ireland which matched what I read about where the "Celtic" were moving throughout Europe..

                    Again, thanks I appreciate your help.
                    Alice-Lorraine

                    ________________________________

                    To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 19, 2009
                      Alice-Lorraine,
                      I wouldn't worry too much that there is a Kyjov, CZ. The fact that your family spoke Slovak and your friends were Slovak points to the Slovak Kyjov as being correct. You can confirm it by searching the records. Too bad they are not back online.
                      Also having your Dad's Ellis Island Manifest saying he was Austria, Hungary is probably correct for the time. Austria and Hungary formed the Austro-Hungarian Empire in 1867. It was dismantled in 1918 when they were on the loosing side of WW I. Ethnically your family may be Slovak, but historically it was not until 1993 that Slovakia the country came into being. For 900 years Hungary ruled over the territory that is now Slovakia. From 1918 to 1993 it was part of Czechoslovakia.
                      For genealogy it is best to list the country that was in control at the time of a genealogy entry. So for most of the Slovaks history they were Hungarian, then Austro-Hungarian, Czechoslovakian and finally Slovak. All the while they were ethnically Slovaks. By using the correct label of the country at a specific time there will be no confusion later on what time period the genealogy event took place.
                      In the area of Slovakia that we have our roots we may even have the addition of being Polish. The king of Poland made a monetary loan to the king of Hungary. As collateral the Polish king was given control of 17 towns and villages in Hungary. Poland had control of those 17 places for 150 years. I believe this happened in the 1500's. So it is more a curiosity of Hungarian history than something of concern for genealogy record keeping.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 20, 2009
                        Thanks for the info, Michael.  I remember my mother telling me about the time she was in school and how they would pray for the King each morning..  They were under the Austro-Hugarian rule at that time.  It was easier when the Czech Republ;c and Slovak Republic were one, then when asked what nationality I was that was it!  Now everyone kids me and says I need two flags instead of one!  Well, that on the humorous side, I will keep looking into all the papers I have to maybe come up with something leading me to my Dad's past in Europe.  I tried contacting a 2nd cousin in CT, but she does not answer and so be it.  I found a Dusnak, but deceased in IL. and could not get that to go any farther.  She was Austrian and a widow.  The other Dusnak is also known as Durnak and they were in CO.  Even my Dad's WW1 military paper lists his name as Dushnak.  So continue  I will and I thank you for all of your suggestions.
                        Alice-Lorraine