Slovakian Foods

  • Judy/Dick James
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 25, 2000
      I would like to include a heritage recipe section in the family album I am creating for my children and grandchildren. My intention is to include some favorite foods that were made by grandmothers, mothers, etc.

      My Slovakian Grandmother, Helena, used to make three things that I remember from my childhood. She made a potato dumpling that was stuffed with a plum and rolled in crumbs, apple strudel, and a yellow type of cake that had whole strawberries baked in the dough.

      I would appreciate it if anyone can tell me if these are Slovakian foods, or something that she adopted from elsewhere.

      I know this isn't strictly genealogy, but I feel that food is always a part of a person's heritage since most special occasions occur with special foods.

      I can make the dumplings and the strudel, but have not been able to duplicate the strawberries in cake. Any ideas?

      If this is not an appropriate subject for this discussion group, please excuse me for not knowing.

      Thank you,
      Judy

    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 25, 2000
        Judy, I have forwarded your post to Slovak World, where people discuss all
        sorts of things including genealogy AND recipes. This list, as you guessed,
        is focused on genealogy for the most part. The Slovak World list will love
        to answer your question and I look forward to reading the replies.

        Andrea

        > I would like to include a heritage recipe section in the family album I am
        creating for my children and grandchildren. My intention is to include some
        favorite foods that were made by grandmothers, mothers, etc.

        > My Slovakian Grandmother, Helena, used to make three things that I
        remember from my childhood. She made a potato dumpling that was stuffed with
        a plum and rolled in crumbs, apple strudel, and a yellow type of cake that
        had whole strawberries baked in the dough.

        > I would appreciate it if anyone can tell me if these are Slovakian foods,
        or something that she adopted from elsewhere.

        > I know this isn't strictly genealogy, but I feel that food is always a
        part of a person's heritage since most special occasions occur with special
        foods.

        > I can make the dumplings and the strudel, but have not been able to
        duplicate the strawberries in cake. Any ideas?

        > If this is not an appropriate subject for this discussion group, please
        excuse me for not knowing.

        > Thank you,
        > Judy

      • RMH
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 25, 2000
          Would you please post the address of Slovak World? Thank you - Regina Haring

        • Olsmarie1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 26, 2000
            Andrea - Remember me - Marie G - I was on Slovak-World before my computer
            crashed - is there anyway you can sign me on to Slovak World in Digest mode -
            I cannot seem to do it with this early program of AOL which hardly does
            anything - I will have to wait until I go to my daughter's house - but not
            this week - I miss the Slovak World list ---Marie G
          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 26, 2000
              I don't think there is anyway to sign up a third party, but I will look into
              it.

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 26, 2000
                Thank you Andrea --Marie G
              • Madrobnak@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 26, 2000
                  Please share with us the web address for Slovak World. Mary Anne
                • Andrea Vangor
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 26, 2000
                    Dear All,

                    Help! I can't keep posting about this on the Slovak Roots list so please
                    save this message as it will not be repeated, at least not by me... There
                    is no web site for Slovak World. It is an e-list. Once again, the
                    instructions for subscribing are as follows:

                    To Subscribe..............

                    To: listproc@...

                    in Body of letter
                    SUBSCRIBE SLOVAK-WORLD CATHY (AMBRISKO) MULLENIX
                    **
                    ******************
                    Subj: (no subject)
                    Date: 3/27/99 1:56:57 AM Eastern Standard Time
                    From: <A HREF="mailto:Ylbrd">Ylbrd</A>
                    To: <A HREF="mailto:listproc@...">listproc@...</A>

                    SUBSCRIBE SLOVAK-WORLD CATHY (AMBRISKO) MULLENIX

                    Subj: SUBSCRIBE SLOVAK-WORLD CATHY (AMBRISKO) MULLENIX
                    Date: 4/20/98 12:05:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time
                    From: listproc@...
                    Sender: listproc@...
                    To: ylbrd@...
                    CC: listadm@...

                    You have been added to list slovak-world@....
                    The system has recorded your address as

                    ylbrd@...

                    and in order for your messages to get posted (if the list accepts postings),
                    you will have to send them from this address, unless the list does not
                    require subscription for posting.
                    If a message is ever rejected, please contact the list's owner:
                    listadm@...

                    For information on this service and how to use it, send the following
                    request in the body of a mail message to listproc@...:

                    HELP

                    All requests should be addressed to listproc@....

                    Please save this message for future reference, especially if you
                    are not familiar with LISTPROC. This might look like a waste of disk
                    space now, but in 6 months you will be glad you saved this information
                    when you realize you cannot remember what the lists are that you
                    subscribed to, or what the command is to leave the list in order to avoid
                    filling up your mailbox while you are on vacations.

                    1.If you ever want to remove yourself from this mailing list, you
                    can send mail to "listproc@..." with the following command in the
                    body of your e-mail message:

                    unsubscribe SLOVAK-WORLD

                    2.If you wish to obtain more information how to use listproc
                    please send mail to "listproc@..." with the following command in
                    the body of your e-mail message:

                    help

                    3.If you want to send information to all members of the list
                    please send mail to "slovak-world@..." containing your information
                    in the body of e-mail.

                    Here is the general information for the list you have subscribed to,
                    in case you don't already have it:

                    Working with Internet we have found people who descend from
                    Slovakia or some of their relatives descend from Slovakia. We think it
                    would be interesting to develop a net forum to make contacts with. That was
                    the main reason why we created this list.
                    SLOVAK-WORLD is a an open unmoderated distribution list which you
                    can use for contacting Slovaks all over the world. It is not
                    limited to territory or to language, it is open for all of those who
                    have something common with Slovaks and Slovakia. The list is maintained by
                    Miroslav Gecovic (gecovic@...) and Ivan Pobis (pobis@...).
                    We will be very happy if this list helps you to find lost contacts,join
                    relatives, meet new friends...etc.

                    Welcome and good luck
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 26, 2000
                      I *think* I subscribed - I put the word 'subscribe' in the body of the
                      message, which is what all the rootsweb lists that I am part of, ask for.

                      I am totally confused by "Cathy (Ambrisko) Mullenix"

                      Should I have put my name in the body of the message? Or for some reason
                      should I put "Cathy" etc. - is that name part of the name of the list? I
                      really don't understand what is wanted.

                      Regina Haring, Nanuet, NY