Re: Mutnansky birth2 file

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 25 6:54 PM
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Judy/Dick James" <jajames@c...>
      wrote:
      > Frank,
      > Thank you again for all your effort in translating this
      document. The
      > information you give about my Grandma's name clears up a lot for my
      family
      > as we did not know why sometimes she was called Helen, Helena,
      Helene, and
      > Ilka (Ilko). Now it is clear.
      >
      > As to the last 2 lines on the original copy, I will try to type it
      as I see
      > it.
      > A gyermek vallasa: "romai koiteulilis" utoneve: "Elemer
      > Hala(n)or(r) Ign??er sl..a?di(?l) or (d)
      >
      > the printing is clear enough, I just can't interpret the
      handwriting. Sorry.

      Normally the line after utoneve: Elemer would have been
      (Megjeggyzes) - observations, remarks.
      Just don't know.

      > I find it very intriguing that someone went there in person to
      register the
      > birth. How would a person do that? What evidence or record would
      have been
      > necessary.

      Perhaps her address in Budapest was a hospital, or a midwife ?
      Civil registration began in Hungary in 1895.

      I know my uncle did not go in person as he would have
      never had
      > the money for the trip and to the best of our knowledge the family
      was not
      > in correspondence with any relatives.

      No, you misunderstood what I wrote.
      The birth was registered at the Budapest city archives in 1906.

      Hungary had a 90 year disclosure rule which meant no records
      from 1900 would have been accessible in 1946.
      Someone went to city archives in March 1946 and got the copy of
      the recorded 1906 birth.
      You will note that a 194. decade form was used and the numeral
      4 is slashed and 1900 decade is written in, so it was a copy of the
      original.

      Where did this birth certificate copy originate ?

      In May 1945 my military unit crossed the Czechoslovakia border
      and I was stationed in Germany in 1946.
      Things were different after the war in Europe.
      Because of these conditions , many things that were illegal were
      possible. Money had little value and the standard currency was
      cigarettes.
      Expect conditions in 1946 were the same or worse in Hungary who
      also had been an Axis partner.
      Believe Hungary was a Soviet military zone back in 1946.

      > I am a lover of mysteries and I find genealogy to be better than
      any
      mystery
      > novel.
      > Thank you for helping to bring these documents to life for me.
      >
      > Judy
    • Judy/Dick James
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 25 7:49 PM
        Frank,
        I can only guess that perhaps one of my Grandmother's relatives who
        stilled lived near Budapest got the copy and sent it to my uncle. I received
        a copy of his daughter when I started working on the family genealogy. I
        guess we will never know now.
        thanks again,
        Judy