Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Re: Mutnansky birth2 file

  • Judy/Dick James
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 25, 2000
      Frank,
      Thank you again for all your effort in translating this document. The
      information you give about my Grandma's name clears up a lot for my family
      as we did not know why sometimes she was called Helen, Helena, Helene, and
      Ilka (Ilko). Now it is clear.

      As to the last 2 lines on the original copy, I will try to type it as I see
      it.
      A gyermek vallasa: "romai koiteulilis" utoneve: "Elemer
      Hala(n)or(r) Ign??er sl..a?di(?l) or (d)

      the printing is clear enough, I just can't interpret the handwriting. Sorry.

      I find it very intriguing that someone went there in person to register the
      birth. How would a person do that? What evidence or record would have been
      necessary. I know my uncle did not go in person as he would have never had
      the money for the trip and to the best of our knowledge the family was not
      in correspondence with any relatives.

      I am a lover of mysteries and I find genealogy to be better than any mystery
      novel.
      Thank you for helping to bring these documents to life for me.

      Judy

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 25, 2000
        wrote:
        > Frank,
        > Thank you again for all your effort in translating this
        document. The
        > information you give about my Grandma's name clears up a lot for my
        family
        > as we did not know why sometimes she was called Helen, Helena,
        Helene, and
        > Ilka (Ilko). Now it is clear.
        >
        > As to the last 2 lines on the original copy, I will try to type it
        as I see
        > it.
        > A gyermek vallasa: "romai koiteulilis" utoneve: "Elemer
        > Hala(n)or(r) Ign??er sl..a?di(?l) or (d)
        >
        > the printing is clear enough, I just can't interpret the
        handwriting. Sorry.

        Normally the line after utoneve: Elemer would have been
        (Megjeggyzes) - observations, remarks.
        Just don't know.

        > I find it very intriguing that someone went there in person to
        register the
        > birth. How would a person do that? What evidence or record would
        have been
        > necessary.

        Perhaps her address in Budapest was a hospital, or a midwife ?
        Civil registration began in Hungary in 1895.

        I know my uncle did not go in person as he would have
        never had
        > the money for the trip and to the best of our knowledge the family
        was not
        > in correspondence with any relatives.

        No, you misunderstood what I wrote.
        The birth was registered at the Budapest city archives in 1906.

        Hungary had a 90 year disclosure rule which meant no records
        from 1900 would have been accessible in 1946.
        Someone went to city archives in March 1946 and got the copy of
        the recorded 1906 birth.
        You will note that a 194. decade form was used and the numeral
        4 is slashed and 1900 decade is written in, so it was a copy of the
        original.

        Where did this birth certificate copy originate ?

        In May 1945 my military unit crossed the Czechoslovakia border
        and I was stationed in Germany in 1946.
        Things were different after the war in Europe.
        Because of these conditions , many things that were illegal were
        possible. Money had little value and the standard currency was
        cigarettes.
        Expect conditions in 1946 were the same or worse in Hungary who
        also had been an Axis partner.
        Believe Hungary was a Soviet military zone back in 1946.

        > I am a lover of mysteries and I find genealogy to be better than
        any
        mystery
        > novel.
        > Thank you for helping to bring these documents to life for me.
        >
        > Judy
      • Judy/Dick James
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 25, 2000
          Frank,
          I can only guess that perhaps one of my Grandmother's relatives who
          stilled lived near Budapest got the copy and sent it to my uncle. I received
          a copy of his daughter when I started working on the family genealogy. I
          guess we will never know now.
          thanks again,
          Judy