Re: [S-R] Re: Village & Family Connections

  • joanski
    Message 1 of 40 , Nov 3, 2009
      Mary Lou:

      Glad your experience with the FHC was profitable. Wish I knew some
      of the names of your ancestors, sorry. One interesting thing I noted
      was your family lived in Hazleton, PA for awhile. My paternal
      grandparents and my dad moved from Jersey City, NJ to St. Clair, PA
      and lived out their lives there. St. Clair is about 45 minutes from
      Hazleton. Small world, but finding links to one's folks is a
      challenge. I think I might have found my paternal grandad's death
      notice on ancestry.com, which I have to join to get further
      information. The name variations are interesting because of the
      Anglicization of the surname I wore. There are several variations
      and it makes searching confusing, but yet interesting.

      Sometime soon maybe we'll both find something important.

      Best,

      JB

      On Nov 3, 2009, at 2:15 PM, MaryLou wrote:

      > I visited my local FHC last week for the first time--the people
      > were very
      > nice. I had a printout showing the name of the village and the film
      > number
      > that I wanted for the 1869 census--they gave me a form to fill out and
      > looked up the film number to find another number which I had to
      > enter on the
      > form. I paid $5.50 and they told me the film would be available for
      > me in
      > about about 2-3 weeks. I'm looking forward to going back to view
      > the census
      > for the first time.
      >
      > I am researching the following names in Slovakia: Velebir,
      > Sabanosh, Sabo,
      > Ihnat with all the various spellings.
      > Village: Hanusovce and Topla
      >
      > My great grandparents came to the US around 1885 and lived in
      > Streator,
      > Illinois. Three of their children were born there in 1886 (Anna),
      > 1887(John), 1888 (Andrew--my grandfather).
      > Then they moved backed to the old world where the rest of their
      > children
      > were born. Anna, John, and Andrew were all in the US later in their
      > lives
      > but I have not discovered whether they returned to the old country
      > and then
      > came back to the US or stayed in the US with other relatives. Would
      > love to
      > find out what they did.
      >
      > My grandmother, Maria Sabanos, arrived in the US in 1913 heading
      > toward the
      > home of her relative, George Sabanos, in Garfield, NJ. In Jan 1914, my
      > grandfather and grandmother married in NJ and then went to Sand Coulee
      > Montana where he was a coal miner. My aunt Mary, uncle Rudy, and
      > father,
      > Andrew Velebir, Jr. Were all born in Montana. The family relocated to
      > Hazleton, Pa around 1922 where they stayed until shortly after WWII.
      >
      > MaryLou

    • joanski
      Message 40 of 40 , Nov 4, 2009
        Janet: