Re: Village & Family Connections

  • John
    Message 1 of 40 , Nov 3, 2009
      >>> Tough information to ferret out but any information would be helpful. I know Blatne Remety is still around, but my connection has to be with information regarding Protestant Reformed churches, specifically Calvinist. All four were members of that faith. <<<

      LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
      Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil registration. Provides details of church records that are held in Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page references refer to different religions. Most of these church records are available on film via your LDS Family History Center.

      These fiches are often in the storage cabinet as part of their local collection. If not, they van be ordered.

      CHURCH RECORDS AT LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) LDS FAMILY HISTORY CENTER (FHC)
      The Mormons have been microfilming historic vital records worldwide for decades as part of their mission. The Mormons make their collection available to anyone for viewing at their Family History Centers (FHC). The microfilms are stored in Salt Lake City. When you visit a center, you can "rent" a microfilm, by paying a small fee (abt. $5 per film). The center will order the film on your behalf and notify you when it arrives at their center. You can then use reserve the microfilm readers to view these records.

      There's one more thing to keep in mind about the FHC. For the most part, the FHC volunteers will know NOTHING about research in Slovakia or about the contents of the films. The volunteer may know about his/her own heritage, but that is about it. That's where you need groups like this to point you in the right direction.

      You can go to the Latter Day Saints (LDS) web site to locate your nearest Family History Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
    • joanski
      Message 40 of 40 , Nov 4, 2009
        Janet:

        That's great information! TY so much!