Tips on how to post

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2009
      This forum has been around for over 10 years. People come and people go.
      On the average, there are five new researchers added each week. Consider
      that the request you made for help a long time ago, or a particular
      discussion may have died out long before all these new members arrived.

      Consider re-posting your research interests (surnames, villages,
      suggestions, etc.) In the "old days" people would re-broadcast their
      interests about once a year. I would have no problem with you doing that ,
      to see if you can open the discussion again, in light of all the new members
      and the new sources that are continually becoming available.

      Also, don't be afraid to re-post old advice. We have new people here who
      are newer than you and often need some grounding on research methods and
      tips. You probably know more than you think and I encourage everyone to
      offer advice and suggestions. The group is quite civil as you know and
      mistakes are usually gently corrected here.

      Keep up the good work folks!

      Bill

    • boblupcho
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 7, 2009
        JohnQ/Janet/BetseyAnn:

        Still looking for information on Lupcho and Csintala. I have not forgotten any of the suggestions made by any of you. I do appreciate the assistance to date. The comments below are aimed at the note BetseyAnn sent May 4, 2008.

        Hi Betsey Ann:
        Is there any possibility that we could talk? I do appreciate the
        information you sent to me at the SR Site. I have not been super active (I had a
        date with a surgeon) this past year but have made a little progress. I found
        my father's birth records by using the FHC here in the Corvallis area of
        Oregon. I also found my GF's marriage information using the same source.
        My dad, Andrew Lupcho, was born February 22, 1898 (SS say's he was born on
        February 21, 1898). The 21st is the date I thought to be accurate. The birth
        records have the name as Andrew Lupscho. The records show the residence
        as being in Union Sheppton. The place of birth is Oneida, PA.

        I have attempted to find out if there may have been others looking for
        information on the name, Lupcho. I have a lead to call Rosalie Lupcho who lives
        in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Her husband, John Steve Lupcho was born in 1924 in
        Aliquippa, PA. His parents, Steve J. Lupcho and Anna Demko were born in
        Jasenova, Austria when Austria and Hungary were one country. I understand that
        Jasenova is a very small village near Humenne, Slovakia now.

        I looked at the Census records after your note last year. The 1900 Census
        spelled the name Lupcso, 1910 spelled the name Lupcho, 1920 spelled the
        name Lupeda and 1930 the name is spelled Lycho as you pointed out in your note.
        If a person looks at the 1930 Census sheet knowing how the name is spelled,
        it is easy to see that it does say Lupcho. I have no clue how you found this. Good detective work on your part.

        I still have no clue as how my GF, Andrew Lupcho, entered the county.

        Could we talk sometime?

        Thanks for the assist, Bob

        PS: I found a lady in NJ named Kit Hickey. Her husbands parents changed their
        name from Lupcho to Hickey. You mentioned a Stepan Lupczo coming to visit
        Andr. Lupczo in Hazelton, PA (I believe that this is my Grandfather) in 1896. I shared this information with Kit. She said this is definitely a part of her husbands clan. Strange how some things come together.
      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 7, 2009
          Bob,
          I entered Lupcho into the 1995 Slovak Census database.
          There is no one by the spelling in Slovakia. An alternative was given -

          Priezvisko LUPCO sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 42×, celkový pocet lokalít: 12, v lokalitách:
          JASENOV, okr. HUMENNÉ - 9×;
          HLINNÉ, okr. VRANOV NAD TOPLOU - 6×;
          BYSTRÉ, okr. VRANOV NAD TOPLOU - 5×;
          DEMJATA, okr. PRESOV - 4×;
          CHMINIANSKE JAKUBOVANY, okr. PRESOV - 3×;
          SOL, okr. VRANOV NAD TOPLOU - 3×;
          DARGOVSKÝCH HRDINOV (obec KOSICE), okr. KOSICE - 3×;
          GELNICA, okr. SPISSKÁ NOVÁ VES (od r. 1996 GELNICA) - 2×;
          KAMENICA NAD CIROCHOU, okr. HUMENNÉ - 2×;
          PRAKOVCE, okr. SPISSKÁ NOVÁ VES (od r. 1996 GELNICA) - 2×;
          VRANOV NAD TOPLOU, okr. VRANOV NAD TOPLOU - 2×;
          VECHEC, okr. VRANOV NAD TOPLOU - 1×;

          There are 42 listings for Lupco in 12 places.
          As you can see, Jasenov, has the most. The district of Humenne is next to the district of Vranov nad Topl'ou. 28 of the 42 listings are close to one another in far eastern Slovakia.
          I would presume that Lupco is the original spelling of the name. Try searching that spelling.

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 7, 2009
            Hi Michael:

            I appreciate the quick response and the information you provided. The
            1900
            census shows Andrew immigrated in 1887. I looked at the ships
            manifests for that year
            and found nothing encouraging. I will review those documents again to
            make sure I did
            not miss something. If you have any thoughts/ideas on how people
            entered the country
            in 1887, let me know.

            Bob

            Bob Lupcho
            boblupcho@...

          • Michael Mojher
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 7, 2009
              Bob,
              Ellis Island did not open until 1892. If your relative came to NY they
              would have entered through Castle Garden.
              http://www.stevemorse.org/ellis/cg.html Try this link.

              > I appreciate the quick response and the information you provided. The
              > 1900
              > census shows Andrew immigrated in 1887. I looked at the ships
              > manifests for that year
              > and found nothing encouraging. I will review those documents again to
              > make sure I did
              > not miss something. If you have any thoughts/ideas on how people
              > entered the country
              > in 1887, let me know.
              >
              > Bob
              >
              > On Nov 7, 2009, at 12:59 PM, Michael Mojher wrote:
              >
              >> Bob,
              >> I entered Lupcho into the 1995 Slovak Census database.
              >> There is no one by the spelling in Slovakia. An alternative was
              >> given -
              >>
              >> Priezvisko LUPCO sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 42×, celkový
              >> pocet lokalít: 12, v lokalitách:
              >> JASENOV, okr. HUMENNÉ - 9×;
              >> HLINNÉ, okr. VRANOV NAD TOPLOU - 6×;
              >> BYSTRÉ, okr. VRANOV NAD TOPLOU - 5×;
              >> DEMJATA, okr. PRESOV - 4×;
              >> CHMINIANSKE JAKUBOVANY, okr. PRESOV - 3×;
              >> SOL, okr. VRANOV NAD TOPLOU - 3×;
              >> DARGOVSKÝCH HRDINOV (obec KOSICE), okr. KOSICE - 3×;
              >> GELNICA, okr. SPISSKÁ NOVÁ VES (od r. 1996 GELNICA) - 2×;
              >> KAMENICA NAD CIROCHOU, okr. HUMENNÉ - 2×;
              >> PRAKOVCE, okr. SPISSKÁ NOVÁ VES (od r. 1996 GELNICA) - 2×;
              >> VRANOV NAD TOPLOU, okr. VRANOV NAD TOPLOU - 2×;
              >> VECHEC, okr. VRANOV NAD TOPLOU - 1×;
              >>
              >> There are 42 listings for Lupco in 12 places.
              >> As you can see, Jasenov, has the most. The district of Humenne is
              >> next to the district of Vranov nad Topl'ou. 28 of the 42 listings
              >> are close to one another in far eastern Slovakia.
              >> I would presume that Lupco is the original spelling of the name. Try
              >> searching that spelling.

            • Bob Lupcho
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 7, 2009
                Hi MIchael:

                I searched the manifests for 1887 which are on Ancestry.com. I will
                look at them again.
                That can be a tomorrow chore. Thanks again.

                Bob

                Bob Lupcho
                boblupcho@...
              • Bob Lupcho
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 8, 2009
                  BetseyAnn:

                  Tried to respond to your note of Nov. 8. 2009 (BetseyAnnK@...)
                  but my notes to you are returned.
                  Can we try again please? Alternate could be a phone call: 541-929-3050.

                  Bob

                  Bob Lupcho
                  boblupcho@...