Slovak-Roots Map - Post your villages!

    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 27, 2009
      Yahoogroups has a new map feature that may be worth trying. I have enabled
      the feature for our group. It allows you to put a push-pin on a map for
      any location in the world.

      This might be a good way to highlight the villages we are researching in
      Slovakia or other areas. It gives you the quick ability to find other
      folks who may be researching in your village or nearby. It is extremely
      useful to team up with others who are researching nearby villages.

      It's a familiar Google-map, but the names of the streets and places are
      not always correct. Hey, it's a start.

      I have kicked it off by adding my two ancestral villages, Zboj and Nova
      Sedlica.

      Try it out and let us know what you think.

      You can get to it by going to our web page,
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS (Yahoo ID required)

      Then click to the left on "Groups Labs (Beta)"

      Then select "Applications"

      Finally select "Places Map"
      From there, the instructions will guide you along. Add your name, the
      village name and the country, along with any notes you wish.
      Remember it is only accessible by members of our group.

      Regards,
      Bill
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 27, 2009

        Cool, worked great for me.

        Caye

        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 27, 2009
          Wow. 35 entries already. I can see this information is going to be very
          insightful. However, I see one early problem.

          Results per page is set at 25, so the last entries are not shown on the
          map or on the list until you select "next" or increase the results to a
          larger size. The limit is 100 per "page" which will quickly be a problem
          for us. It means you have to hit "next page" (even when at 100) to see
          the remainder on a map.

          I'll keep putzing around for a way around this.

          Bill

          On Tue, October 27, 2009 10:48 am, Bill Tarkulich wrote:
          > Yahoogroups has a new map feature that may be worth trying. I have enabled
          > the feature for our group. It allows you to put a push-pin on a map for
          > any location in the world.
          >
          > This might be a good way to highlight the villages we are researching in
          > Slovakia or other areas. It gives you the quick ability to find other
          > folks who may be researching in your village or nearby. It is extremely
          > useful to team up with others who are researching nearby villages.
          >
          > It's a familiar Google-map, but the names of the streets and places are
          > not always correct. Hey, it's a start.
          >
          > I have kicked it off by adding my two ancestral villages, Zboj and Nova
          > Sedlica.
          >
          > Try it out and let us know what you think.
          >

          > You can get to it by going to our web page,
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS (Yahoo ID required)
          >
          > Then click to the left on "Groups Labs (Beta)"
          >
          > Then select "Applications"
          >
          > Finally select "Places Map"
          > From there, the instructions will guide you along. Add your name, the
          > village name and the country, along with any notes you wish.
          > Remember it is only accessible by members of our group.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Bill

          Bill Tarkulich
          http://www.iabsi.com
        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 27, 2009
            Bill,
            How do you place your number flag on each of your villages. After filling in the information I only had one of four villages will a flag.
            Michael Mojher

            Wow. 35 entries already. I can see this information is going to be very
            insightful. However, I see one early problem.

            Results per page is set at 25, so the last entries are not shown on the
            map or on the list until you select "next" or increase the results to a
            larger size. The limit is 100 per "page" which will quickly be a problem
            for us. It means you have to hit "next page" (even when at 100) to see
            the remainder on a map.

            I'll keep putzing around for a way around this.

            Bill

            On Tue, October 27, 2009 10:48 am, Bill Tarkulich wrote:
            > Yahoogroups has a new map feature that may be worth trying. I have enabled
            > the feature for our group. It allows you to put a push-pin on a map for
            > any location in the world.
            >
            > This might be a good way to highlight the villages we are researching in
            > Slovakia or other areas. It gives you the quick ability to find other
            > folks who may be researching in your village or nearby. It is extremely
            > useful to team up with others who are researching nearby villages.
            >
            > It's a familiar Google-map, but the names of the streets and places are
            > not always correct. Hey, it's a start.
            >
            > I have kicked it off by adding my two ancestral villages, Zboj and Nova
            > Sedlica.
            >
            > Try it out and let us know what you think.
            >

            > You can get to it by going to our web page,
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS (Yahoo ID required)
            >
            > Then click to the left on "Groups Labs (Beta)"
            >
            > Then select "Applications"
            >
            > Finally select "Places Map"
            > From there, the instructions will guide you along. Add your name, the
            > village name and the country, along with any notes you wish.
            > Remember it is only accessible by members of our group.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Bill

            Bill Tarkulich
            http://www.iabsi.com

            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 27, 2009
              I will respond privately since this is an individual issue.

              Bill Tarkulich
              http://www.iabsi.com
            • MaryLou
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 27, 2009
                Very nifty feature! Took a few moments for my listing to show up--seems
                many of us are trying to do it at the same time.
                MaryLou

                Wow. 35 entries already. I can see this information is going to be very
                insightful. However, I see one early problem.

                Results per page is set at 25, so the last entries are not shown on the
                map or on the list until you select "next" or increase the results to a
                larger size. The limit is 100 per "page" which will quickly be a problem
                for us. It means you have to hit "next page" (even when at 100) to see
                the remainder on a map.

                I'll keep putzing around for a way around this.

                Bill

                On Tue, October 27, 2009 10:48 am, Bill Tarkulich wrote:
                > Yahoogroups has a new map feature that may be worth trying. I have enabled
                > the feature for our group. It allows you to put a push-pin on a map for
                > any location in the world.
                >
                > This might be a good way to highlight the villages we are researching in
                > Slovakia or other areas. It gives you the quick ability to find other
                > folks who may be researching in your village or nearby. It is extremely
                > useful to team up with others who are researching nearby villages.
                >
                > It's a familiar Google-map, but the names of the streets and places are
                > not always correct. Hey, it's a start.
                >
                > I have kicked it off by adding my two ancestral villages, Zboj and Nova
                > Sedlica.
                >
                > Try it out and let us know what you think.
                >

                > You can get to it by going to our web page,
                > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS (Yahoo ID required)
                >
                > Then click to the left on "Groups Labs (Beta)"
                >
                > Then select "Applications"
                >
                > Finally select "Places Map"
                > From there, the instructions will guide you along. Add your name, the
                > village name and the country, along with any notes you wish.
                > Remember it is only accessible by members of our group.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Bill

                Bill Tarkulich
                http://www.iabsi.com

                ---------------------
                Text inserted by Panda GP 2010:

                http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_5979&SPAM=true&path=C:\Documents%20and%20S
                ttings\Mary%20Lou\Local%20Settings\Application%20Data\Panda%20Security\Panda%
                0Global%20Protection%202010\AntiSpam
              • rlolbr
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 28, 2009
                  I think the map application is a great way to see where you are researching and find others with common interests, but I may be researching on the wrong site, as no one else seems to be looking in northwest Czech republic. Is this the right site?

                • nhasior@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 28, 2009
                    I posted my village yesterday and wonder how many days it takes for the
                    flag to appear.
                    Noreen

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 28, 2009
                      So far, this map feature provides nothing but frustration. I will give it about 10 more minutes of my time and then try to forget it forever. Helene Cincebeaux's site works better in terms of surname searches by village.
                    • Florian
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 28, 2009
                        Great idea, Bill! Thanks for finding this new Yahoogroups application and pointing it out to us.

                        Hopefully, more S-R members will become aware of and use this feature.

                        Regards,

                        Florian

                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 28, 2009
                          John,

                          Frustration, why?

                          I don't see how Helene's site can be used for a village proximity view,
                          without thrashing back and forth against a map.

                          My concept was village-oriented, with surnames as a secondary objective.

                          Bill

                          On Wed, October 28, 2009 9:07 am, John wrote:
                          > So far, this map feature provides nothing but frustration. I will give it
                          > about 10 more minutes of my time and then try to forget it forever. Helene
                          > Cincebeaux's site works better in terms of surname searches by village.

                          Bill Tarkulich
                          http://www.iabsi.com
                        • billski
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 28, 2009
                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, nhasior@... wrote:

                            > I posted my village yesterday and wonder how many days it takes for the
                            > flag to appear.
                            > Noreen

                            Make sure you have set "results to page" to 100 or greater, if possible or you will only see the default of the first 25.
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 28, 2009
                              Dear Unknown,

                              Yes, discuss Czech Rep and Slovak Rep. A much larger number of immigrants
                              departed from Slovak Rep.

                              There are 97 villages on the map. There are 993 subscribers. Patience.

                              Regards,
                              Bill

                              On Wed, October 28, 2009 5:45 am, rlolbr wrote:
                              > I think the map application is a great way to see where you are
                              > researching and find others with common interests, but I may be
                              > researching on the wrong site, as no one else seems to be looking in
                              > northwest Czech republic. Is this the right site?

                            • Nancy Gibbs
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 28, 2009
                                I don't understand the problems people are having with posting their villages on the map.  I posted 2 the other day and they appeared right away.  Like Bill said, be patient--a lot of people posted villages between the time I posted my 2 villages.

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 28, 2009
                                  It's not a matter of volume.

                                  It's more than likely a problem with not selecting

                                  RESULTS PER PAGE (look at the top right of the page)

                                  with the largest possible choice (100 now.) So that all the entries,
                                  including your most recent displays.

                                  If you don't do this, you'll only see the default of 25 per page, and
                                  you'll have to press page 2, 3, 4, etc. in the same location.

                                  Bill

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 28, 2009
                                    I like this feature too. I know it is a little frustrating but I think we
                                    have to remember it is a "beta" feature so all the kinks have not been
                                    worked out plus I think we may have overwhelmed the servers!
                                    MaryLou

                                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Tarkulich" <bill.tarkulich@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > Yahoogroups has a new map feature that may be worth trying. I have enabled
                                    > the feature for our group. It allows you to put a push-pin on a map for
                                    > any location in the world.
                                    >
                                    > This might be a good way to highlight the villages we are researching in
                                    > Slovakia or other areas. It gives you the quick ability to find other
                                    > folks who may be researching in your village or nearby. It is extremely
                                    > useful to team up with others who are researching nearby villages.
                                    >
                                    > It's a familiar Google-map, but the names of the streets and places are
                                    > not always correct. Hey, it's a start.
                                    >
                                    > I have kicked it off by adding my two ancestral villages, Zboj and Nova
                                    > Sedlica.
                                    >
                                    > Try it out and let us know what you think.
                                    >

                                    > You can get to it by going to our web page,
                                    > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS (Yahoo ID required)
                                    >
                                    > Then click to the left on "Groups Labs (Beta)"
                                    >
                                    > Then select "Applications"
                                    >
                                    > Finally select "Places Map"
                                    > From there, the instructions will guide you along. Add your name, the
                                    > village name and the country, along with any notes you wish.
                                    > Remember it is only accessible by members of our group.
                                    >
                                    > Regards,
                                    > Bill

                                    ---------------------
                                    Text inserted by Panda GP 2010:

                                    http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_6108&SPAM=true&path=C:\Documents%20and%20S
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 29, 2009
                                      Thank you Bill. I changed the selection to 100 and the entry appeared.
                                      This is an amazing tool you have invented.
                                      Thanks.
                                      Noreen

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 29, 2009
                                        I didn't invent it, it's something Yahoo did, I just changed the titles.
                                        It does have some defects, that's why they call it "Beta", which is another
                                        word for a version to test.

                                        The biggest problem now is that we have over 100 villages, but it only shows
                                        100 villages on the screen at a time (with your new selection). You then
                                        need to go to the next page to see the next 100 on the map and so on. I
                                        think re-sorting the list might help, but I am so busy this week I don't
                                        have any more time to play with it.

                                        **** I'm hoping other group members will pitch in and offer suggestions and
                                        advice. ****

                                        Bill

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 29, 2009
                                          Tried to add an entry.

                                          Keeps asking me for a 'comment' even AFTER posting TWO.

                                          Don Havlicek
                                          Edmore, MI

                                          Quoting nhasior@...:

                                          > Thank you Bill. I changed the selection to 100 and the entry appeared.
                                          > This is an amazing tool you have invented.
                                          > Thanks.
                                          > Noreen

                                        • Debra Strezenec
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Oct 29, 2009
                                            Bill:
                                            Thank you for making this worthwhile project a welcome and user-friendly resource for the group especially for us "newbies".  Appreciate you, and all other experienced researchers, on this board.
                                            Deb Strezenec

                                            ________________________________
                                            I will respond privately since this is an individual issue.

                                            On Tue, October 27, 2009 1:31 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
                                            > Bill,
                                            > How do you place your number flag on each of your villages. After filling
                                            > in the information I only had one of four villages will a flag.
                                            > Michael Mojher

                                            Bill Tarkulich
                                            http://www.iabsi. com

                                          • MaryLou
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Oct 29, 2009
                                              Ignore the comment request--just click on View to complete the posting
                                              MaryLou

                                              Keeps asking me for a 'comment' even AFTER posting TWO.

                                              Don Havlicek
                                              Edmore, MI

                                              Quoting nhasior@...:

                                              > Thank you Bill. I changed the selection to 100 and the entry appeared.
                                              > This is an amazing tool you have invented.
                                              > Thanks.
                                              > Noreen

                                              Text inserted by Panda GP 2010:

                                              http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_6295&SPAM=true&path=C:\Documents%20and%20S