Re: [S-R] Re: Turzak/Hudak

  • MELANIE MEACHAM
    Message 1 of 47 , Oct 23, 2009
      Yes, this is my gr gr grandfather.  They went to Beaver from Youngstown where they stayed for about 20 years before moving to Farrell PA where my grandfather was born.  Thanks for the tip, Janet.  I will look there next.  My mother, sister and I are planning a European trip next summer and I hope top have the village pinned down so we can visit.  My Slovakian grandfather married an Italian immigrant, so Bagnoli Irpino Italy will be the second leg of the trip!

      ________________________________
      From: momsbeenscrappin <momsbeenscrappin@
      <mailto:momsbeenscr appin%40yahoo. com> yahoo.com>
      Subject: [S-R] Re: Turzak/Hudak
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.com> yahoogroups. com
      Date: Friday, October 23, 2009, 10:08 AM

      Can you stand one more quesion on the translation of Louis? My father's
      first name was Louis as was his father's middle name. I've seen several
      documents where they were both referred to as Alois. Dad told me this was
      was a version of Louis, but he wasn't sure if it was German, Slovak or
      Hungarian. He remembers his parents calling him Alois when he was a little
      boy.
      Doris

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@. ..> wrote:

      > Melanie,
      > The name Ludwig seems very German to me... as I think it is the German
      "Louis," so to speak. Ron would know... he speaks German like a native! I
      don't... :-P

      > I am glad I could help... it will all come together, I swear to you!!!!
      > Ben
      >

      > ____________ _________ _________ __

      Ludwig. This makes some sense. I've been curious as to where the name
      Ludwig came from. My grandfather Louis Turzak frequently referred to
      himself as Ludwig, though his childhood nickname "Boots" stuck with him
      until his death at age 90 in 2001.

      > ____________ _________ _________ __

      Slovak, and Hungarian traditions- which again helps in getting the language
      of that name straight as well as providing leads for hard to read
      handwritten names. Lajos is Hungarian. L'udovit would be the Slovak name.
      > Here is that link again.... http://www.skokan sk/infobox/ kalendar. php
      >
      > If you look at the 25th of august for the SK calendar, you will find
      L'udovit, and then the same date in the Hungarian calendar will give you
      "Lajos."
      > Ben

    • MELANIE MEACHAM
      Message 47 of 47 , Oct 23, 2009

        From: momsbeenscrappin <momsbeenscrappin@
        <mailto:momsbeenscr appin%40yahoo. com> yahoo.com>
        To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.com> yahoogroups. com
        Date: Friday, October 23, 2009, 10:08 AM