Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Hopchak surname from Czenho, Slovakia

  • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 20, 2000

      Go to:

      select "PLACE SEARCH" and enter the name of your town. You will find:

      Cirkevná matrika, 1817-1899 Cirkev grécko-katolícka. Farský úrad Snakov
      (Bardejov) film numbers 1793684 Item 7 and 1793685 Items 1-7.

      Cirkevná matrika, 1789-1906 Cirkev rímsko-katolícka. Farský úrad Ruskov (Kosice)

      Cirkevná matrika, 1798-1896 Cirkev grécko-katolícka. Farský úrad Slanské Nové
      Mesto (Kosice)
      1981436 Items 3-4, 1924879, 1924880 Items 1-2, 1924856 Items 4-7

      The "Items" give you the section location on the film.

      You will have to "rent" the films for something like $3.25 for a 2 week period.
      The rental can be renewed for another $3.25 and after you have renewed the rental
      three (3) times, the film will be identified as on indefinite loan, which means
      it will stay at the center for a very long time. So for about $10 per film, you
      can look forever, and you can do this in $3 increments.

      Just a note in e-mail/list operations. If you leave the previous message or at
      least a part of it when you reply, it provides a thread to follow. Some members
      keep every e-mail they receive. Some delete the e-mail as soon as it is
      answered. I follow the latter practice. Fortunately, I did not empty the
      "trash" so I could look up the names of the towns. I have added the earlier

      Happy hunting.

      Dr. "Q"

      EHopchak@... wrote: Thank you so very much Dr. Q,

      > Yes, Mary and John were Greek Catholicas, and all of their descendants.
      > Looking at these docs I realize I've given the incorrect maiden name for
      > Mary. She was Mary Stefanski born at Snakov 1877. Baranchic is a related
      > surname.
      > Are the LDS records online or can I order these through my local gen.
      > library? I've looked for John and Mary on passenger lists. Learned the
      > lists do not exist for this time frame. John Hopchak entered the US at NY
      > July 1897; Mary entered at NY Feb. 5, 1897. They married 1900 in Pittsburgh.
      > Thanks so very much for your help, Carol

      Snakov 16 km west of Bardejov at the end of the road, 4 km south of the Polish
      border, 70 km north of Košice, and about 350 km northeast of Bratislava. It is
      in the old hungarian county of Sáros.

      Can't find Ruskoo, but it may be Ruskov, 12 km east of Košice. It would be in
      the area of the old Hungarian county of Zemplén.

      All of the information you have is correct within the time frame. Before W.W.I,
      Slovakia was Hungary (sometimes designated as Austria due to the "duel" monarchy
      of Austro-Hungary; - - - such nonsense as a "dual mono" existed back then too!).

      Czechoslovakia was a fabrication after W.W.I and W.W.II.

      You have very good data and should look at LDS Family History Films when ever it
      is convenient. The church records in those areas should be microfilmed. Was
      Mary Baranchik Greek Catholic, most of the population in that area was.

      Good hunting.

      Dr. "Q"

    • EHopchak@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 21, 2000
        In a message dated 9/21/00 2:27:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        judyq@... writes:

        Thanks, I didn't expect to have this much information so fast. Appreciate
        all of your help, Carol