RE: [S-R] Follow up on a couple issues re. Svinye and KOLLARCSIKS

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 19, 2009
      Elaine,

      Yes, I concur that these are three totally separate villages. Szinye and
      Szinye-Lipocz are both west of Eperjes; Saroskisfalu is south.

      It does seem confusing when you have both Kolarcsiks and Kollarcsiks coming
      from the same general region, and it is not easy to tell if any of them are
      the same people. Stated ages are so unreliable that you can't depend on
      them. Then there is the possibility that Janos's immigration record has been
      mistranscribed and can only be found under some other spelling.

      It is possible that you might be able to find the answers in the church
      records. It is too bad that the online records are no longer available, but
      you should still have access to them through the LDS microfilms. You'll just
      have to wait longer to see them. I would be especially on the lookout for
      any hint that Janos may have come from some other village. I think I would
      start by looking at the marriage records for Saroskisfalu, around 1894.

      Good luck, Janet

      _____