Re: [S-R] Re: Tombstone translation

  • cerrunos1@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 17, 2009
      Hi again, let me correct something- Slovak has seven cases, but really 6 are really used.
      Ben

      From: "Gordon Grening" <gordongrening@...>
      Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 06:24:11
      To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [S-R] Re: Tombstone translation

      Thanks for the translation. Do you know what the exact phrase is in Slovak. I tried using some of the on-line dictionaries and the closest I could come up with is " Odpocivat pokoj" but the tombstone looks more like "Odpocvoj pokoji".

      Also the word for "to die" appears to be Umriet; but, the tombstone is clearly Umrel. Is this the past tense of Umriet?