Important Notice: FHL Pilot - Slovakia and Czech Republic

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2009
      Important Notice: FHL Pilot - Slovakia and Czech Republic

      Yesterday I received an urgent notice from the FHL regarding the cataloging
      of Slovakia and Czech Republic records and posting via the "Pilot" online
      site.

      Effective immediately, the films for Slovakia and the Czech Republic are
      being removed from http://pilot.familysearch.org so that any records beyond
      1905 can be removed from the online copies. Once this is done, they will be
      returned to the Pilot program. No completion date has been specified, but
      it is my understanding that it is being given immediate attention.

      This is a big change from the original intent. I did not realize that they
      would be pulled so quickly or I would have posted the notice sooner.
      Apparently the privacy laws in Slovakia and Czech Republic swelled to a
      large problem for the FHL. We do of course do not want them to sour the
      relationship with the state archives, so we must be patient while they are
      edited.

      The Slovakia records beyond 1905 are still available via traditional
      microfilm.

      Here are the Slovakia privacy statute limits:

      100 years for birth registers

      75 years for death register

      75 years for marriage registers

      There is no FHL explanation as to why the 1905 cutoff was chosen.

      Regards,

      Bill