RE: [S-R] 1912 Catholic Encyclopedia - Ruthenians

  • Michele Baker
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 13, 2009
      Bill,

      Very interesting article. Thanks for posting.

      Michele

      _____

      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
      yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Bill Tarkulich
      Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 8:19 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com

      "Ruthenian" is the archaic name for todays' ethnic Rusyn or Carpatho-Rusyn,
      of which I descend, and am quite familiar. You will commonly see this term
      in the early 20th century.

      Absolutely there were Rusyns living in the Eastern part of Slovakia then
      Czechoslovakia (generally Presov and east), Southern Poland and Western
      Ukraine.
      Most Ruthenians attended Greek Catholic churches which were shut down by the
      Communists in '47-50.

      Bill

      Bill