Re: SAMUDOVCE RE: [S-R] Really bad handwriting.

  • lepus_rex
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 13, 2009
      Bill,

      I haven't encountered too many Helena/Ilona Irchas so far, no, at least nowhere near as many Annas and Marias.

      The thing about "Galya" is that it seems mainly to be a diminutive of "Galina", which is supposed to be a Russian feminine form of the Greek "Galenos", rather than(the also Greek) "Helene". But there seems to be enough popular confusion about the origin of "Galina" (many sources claiming it's a variant of "Helene") that it's certainly a possibility.

      And, wouldn't you know it, there *is* a column for the priest's name, which I somehow missed? (*lamely blames GK newbie confusion*) It matches up with Mr. Èisárik's list of priests from Šamudovce: Michael Prešèak, there from 1825 to 1846. Thanks for the tip! Perhaps, as this was near the end of his time there (1844), he was suffering from some age-related disability, and required help to record events.

      The spelling of the name, which still exists in Lastomír and Šamudovce today, varies over time, seemingly at the whim of the writer: Jircha, Jirha, Irha, Ircha, etc. I've actually encountered two spelling variants for a single individual within the same year (an infant baptised "Irha Mihály," was buried as "Ircha Mihály" 8 mos. later).

      From what I can tell, the surname "Ircha" seems to be from a word meaning "deerskin", or some other kind of hide, apparently borrowed from Latin via German. In Ukrainian and Polish, it's "ircha" (Ukr. ipxa), meaning "chamois leather" or "leather" in both languages. And Hungarian has "irha", meaning "hide", which is also one of the spellings of the name that I've encountered during periods that the records were kept primarily in Hungarian. I imagine there's an equivalent in the local dialect, though I haven't encountered it, yet.

      ---Will