Using FHL Pilot to check neighboring villages

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 13, 2009
      Last night, I used the FHL Pilot database to do something that used to be
      very time-consuming - check neighboring villages for occurrences of a
      surname. Boy, was it easy and fast.

      In particular, I was looking for info on "lost" church records from the
      now-evacuated villages which were cleared for the Starina reservoir in far
      Eastern Slovakia. I was able to locate records for villages that were not
      noted in the FHL catalog. This is going to be a real time-saver and really
      help speed the process of searching the periphery of an area.

      Bill

    • Paul Paulochik
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 13, 2009
        Please explain what you did to find "lost" church records. I also am
        intertested in neighboring villages I haven't been able to find in the FHL
        catalog.

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 13, 2009
          I need to choose my words more carefully, sorry. These are not records that
          are acknowledged and confirmed lost (as if by fire.) These are records that
          were not fully indexed by the FHL. I simply pulled up the books from
          neighboring churches and looked to see where the congregants were from.

          Bill

          Please explain what you did to find "lost" church records. I also am
          intertested in neighboring villages I haven't been able to find in the FHL
          catalog.

        • R Lopez
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 14, 2009
            Hello,
            Would that search engine cover Eastern Moravia (now Eastern Czech Republic)? There are a few towns up by the border with Poland that I´d like to research names in.

            R L Olbrich

            Please explain what you did to find "lost" church records. I also am

            intertested in neighboring villages I haven't been able to find in the FHL

            catalog.

            http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/SLOVAK- ROOTS/

            To unsubscribe from this group, go to

            http://www.yahoogro ups.com/group/ SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank email to

          • John
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 14, 2009
              >>> Would that search engine cover Eastern Moravia (now Eastern Czech Republic)? There are a few towns up by the border with Poland that I´d like to research names in. <<<

              Czech archival records are now being "filmed". No date for release. In the meantime, only pro genealogists have access to the archival records in CR.
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 14, 2009
                The Czech Republic archives digitizing effort is a joint project between
                the FHL and the CR Archives. Trebon Archive was the first. Both groups
                are presently posting the films to the web, as they complete each village.
                This project will take years, so best to have the patience of Job.
                See what's posted today, then keep checking back:

                CR Archives Trebon Site:
                http://digi.ceskearchivy.cz

                FHL Pilot
                http://pilot.familysearch.org
                Litomerice (Northern Bohemia)
                Opava (Northern Moravia)
                Trebon (Southern Bohemia)

                Good Luck,
                Bill Tarkulich

                On Wed, October 14, 2009 7:30 am, John wrote:

                > Czech archival records are now being "filmed". No date for release. In the
                > meantime, only pro genealogists have access to the archival records in CR.

                Bill Tarkulich
                http://www.iabsi.com
              • voony
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 30, 2009
                  I read your information about use of the FHL pilot database regarding church records of the villages that were cleared because of the Starina Reservoir project.
                  my wife's relatives are from Zvala and we have photos of some of the relatives that are buried in the cemetery there. It would be nice to have additional info regarding births ,marriages , deaths and the other info usually found on those certificated regarding other relatives. The surnames involved are Makaj, and Kapko. The problem we have is that we do not read or write Slovak so finding the records is a problem but if the records themselves were available we could probably find someone to translate them. Any help that you could offer would help us in our continuing quest to add more pieces to the jigsaw puzzle.

                  Thanks for the Zvala summer tour the pics were interesting

                  Bob and Elaine (Sugars) von Berge

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 31, 2009
                    Dear Bob and Elaine,
                    I'm not sure who you are writing towards, so I'll assume it is I.

                    I've written tons of stuff on Starina in English, far more than any other
                    source. This includes where to find the church records. Certain records
                    were destroyed during WW2 and my site describes those details. My web site
                    has tons of of information on how to translate languages. Very little was
                    written in Slovak. It is quite simple, you for the most part only need to
                    translate the headers of the church ledgers, which are for the most part
                    consistent.

                    I stand firm on guiding your research and pointing out sources, but not do
                    it for you. It's really quite simple, much data are easily available, the
                    only substantial investment will be your time.

                    What research have you already accomplished? Have you been to the Family
                    History Center or browsed the FHL web site? My web pages offer detailed
                    instructions on all of that.

                    Why don't you get in touch with the several Americans who have traveled
                    there? Their names are readily available.

                    Good Luck,

                    Bill Tarkulich

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 31, 2009
                      Bill
                      Your assumption was correct I was directing the initial questions towards you.
                      I apologize for leading you to believe that I would want you or anyone else to do our research. I was only asking for direction as to HOW not WHO.
                      Again sorry for the poor wording on my part. For your information I have over 2000 names in my research, and have never ask anyone to more than perhaps verify some of my sources. I have used your web site and have found it to be helpful.
                      Bob

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 1, 2009
                        Hello Bob,

                        Thank you for the explanation. It's not clear to me what your research
                        objective is other than to collect names. If you would please answer the
                        questions in my initial response, perhaps we could further the conversation.
                        Sincerely,