Re: Gabriel

  • John
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2000
      I received the following today:

      John, I'm still very curious about your grandfather's name as show on the
      birth registry that you loaded into the files area of the website. Anything
      come of it? I've been watching, and haven't seen anything on it. I'll bet
      every person who looked at it would like to know what the experts make of
      it--we want to know what the name is. Did I miss a reply on the site?
      Thanks very much, Maryann

      Sorry Maryann, I should have thought to post the results.

      Joe Armata (talented and tenacious) contacted me regarding my grandfather's
      name which was in Cyrillic cursive in the registery. I had no luck making
      any sense out of what I saw even though I knew what his name was. I told
      Joe my grandfather's name was Gabriel and Joe sent me the following:

      At 08:39 AM 9/13/00 -0500, Joe Armata wrote:
      >Hi John! Yes, now that you mention it, Gabriel fits perfectly! The word
      >is "Gauriil- hard sign", with the u substituting for the v as it often
      >does in Ukrainian. It never occured to me that the smudged 2nd letter
      >might be the vowel instead of the u.
      >
      >A Ukrainian dictionary I have lists Gavryil as the Ecclesiastical version
      >of Gavrylo (Havrylo), the more common version of the name. In Belarussian
      >it's spelled the same way as in your document: Gauryil.
      >
      >Joe

      Thanks again Joe and Maryann for reminding me.

      John