Re: Researching SKOFSKI

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 19, 2000
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, Tverdov@a... wrote:
      > I'm searching for SKOFSKI from Kosice, SLovakia ( possibly
      variation
      in
      > spelling ) Can someone tell me if this name is Slovak? what are
      other
      > possible origins?
      > Thanks !
      > Catherine T.

      Many Polish surnames end in -ski or -cki.
      In older records you sometimes read -sky (before spelling rules
      were adapted); but in recent times tendency to insist on -ski.
      Probably a possessive affix added to name which evolved from person's
      characteristics (such as 'tall, short, etc.), occupation, or place
      of residence.
      In Czech and Slovak, the -sky is akin to the Polish -ski, while -cky
      is similar to Polish -cki.

      Your surname Skofski was from what era ?

      The on line Polish telephone directory was removed from WWW because
      of privacy issues.

      Someone on Internet writes fiction at email :SKofski@...

      Would suggest Skoufski and Skofzski as being the alternate
      spellings for this surname.