General question

  • Nancy Gibbs
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2009
      Upon recording where my ancestors were born, married, etc. I record the town, county and state for USA information.  Is that the same for Slovakia records?  My grandfather was born in Petrovany--what would be the corresponding county, if any?  His parents were married in Kendice, county for that?  I want to be sure and record everything I can about where they lived, etc. in Slovakia.  Is there a map I can look at/purchase that will give me this information for any future discoveries I make?  Thank you very much.
      Nancy

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2009
        It is essential, in recording genealogy information that you use the names
        and political structure that were in place at the time of the event. This
        general rules is essential for you or other researchers to build upon your
        work. It is challenging because these lands have been held by different
        political entities over the lifetime of our ancestors.
        Hungary-Czechoslovakia-Slovakia/Hungary/Germany-Czechoslovakia-Slovakia.
        Each political entity has it's own structure. Hungary had counties, which,
        in many ways are equivalent to US-States. Below that was a district
        (similar to a US-county.) With present-day Slovakia, there are regions,
        districts and sub/micro districts. Even throughout 1000 years of time in
        Hungary, certain counties and districts and towns were re-organized.

        Whatever you do, DON'T "sanitize" the data by converting it all over to
        present-day names. You need to be firm about this, even including
        misspellings or language variations. Nobody will ever be able to figure out
        your research otherwise.

        While there are some maps, there are references that will be more useful.
        Here are some samples.
        a) an overlay of old Hungary counties on present day boundaries
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/Documents/Slovakia_Hungary_Counties.jpg
        CAUTION: THESE names are NOT in present day use.

        b) Contemporary
        http://mapy.atlas.sk/

        c) 1910 Hungary
        http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/vmlista.htm

        d) 1882 Hungary by county and district
        http://www.bogardi.com/gen/g104.shtml (remember to have the correct village
        name in use at the time)

        e) 1913 Hungary Gazetteer
        http://www.bogardi.com/gen/g168.shtml Same warnings as in (d).

        And a boatload of other maps I have collected:
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/maps.htm

        Regards,
        Bill Tarkulich

        Bill

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 7, 2009
          Double ditto to Bill's wise words.

          However, since it is your family history, "your" in the sense that you are the historian/author, feel free to add additional information. This can include the current geopolitical designation. Since I am into genetics, I include the latitude and longitude of the villages. That will not change no matter who or what invades, rebels, or unites the area.

          Better to err on the side of too much information.
          Carolyn