Mihaly Andras Birth Record

  • John
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2009
      >>> I have been trying for years to find out more definitive information on what the real name was . . . The name is Michael (or Mihaly) ANDRAS or ANDRASOV, born 26 March 1881. <<<

      The Lozin church records are on line at http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=waypoint;s=waypointsOnly;c=1554443;w=0

      Closest birth record on film #254 page 71/183
      Mihaly Andras, b 13 Oct 1881
      Father: Mihaly Andras, I interpret from Szuchisan but cannot identify the village.
      Mother: Julia Zacharias from Lazony, now Lozin

      Given the date discrepancy, this may not be YOUR Mihaly Andras. There was only one birth in March, 1881 and that was Andras Hrubi, 29 March 1881.

      BTW, this is my genealogy study area, especially Dubravka.
    • Ron
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2009
        Just a note, the records available at this web site are VERY incomplete. They do make a good starting point, however. I have had better luck and more complete results using the One Step website to peruse the Ellis Island records. There are so many variations in village name due to language (as in Lozin/Lazony) as well as misspellings (as in Lepeszulin for Szepesszulin) as well as variations in family names that you almost need to work up a grid of possibilities ... the Lepesszulin only came to light when a correct name came up identified with the misspelled village... so there is plenty of detail to pay attention to!

        Ron

        > The Lozin church records are on line at http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=waypoint;s=waypointsOnly;c=1554443;w=0
        >
        > Closest birth record on film #254 page 71/183
        > Mihaly Andras, b 13 Oct 1881
        > Father: Mihaly Andras, I interpret from Szuchisan but cannot identify the village.
        > Mother: Julia Zacharias from Lazony, now Lozin
        >
        > Given the date discrepancy, this may not be YOUR Mihaly Andras. There was only one birth in March, 1881 and that was Andras Hrubi, 29 March 1881.
        >
        > BTW, this is my genealogy study area, especially Dubravka.

      • martha.andras
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7, 2009
          Hi John,

          I believe this is the same family Janet found as emmigrating to Stockton, PA. I don't think its my family because I never saw the other first names before. However, Stockton is right outside of Hazleton so you never know. I might try to pursue this a bit further.

          I studied the pilot website for a few hours today and found some interesting alternate spellings - ANDREJOV, ANDRISOV, ANDRIJOV, ANDRAJOV. (all from Lazony) At least that's what they look like to me. However, when I type those spellings in English into the search they don't come up. Over the weekend I will try to look at it again and tell you the exact page & line number. Perhaps you can take a look at them then.

          Thanks!

          Martha

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 19, 2009
            Hi John & Janet,

            You know - the more I look at this (and the immigration & census records Janet found)the more I think it might be my husband's family. He remembers his father saying that they lived in Stockton, PA when he was just a little boy. He also remembers his father saying the name used to be ANDRASKO. (very close to the ANDROSKO from the 1910 census)

            I plan to go back to the Greek Catholic church where Mihaly (age 9 at immigration) and Anna ANDRASOV were married in 1904. I have a copy of that marriage but the Deacon would only check those specific names. Perhaps if I go again with these new names and dates he will check further back for me. I will keep you posted. Thank you so much for these new leads!!!

            Martha

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@...> wrote:

            > Hi John,
            >
            > I believe this is the same family Janet found as emmigrating to Stockton, PA. I don't think its my family because I never saw the other first names before. However, Stockton is right outside of Hazleton so you never know. I might try to pursue this a bit further.
            >
            > I studied the pilot website for a few hours today and found some interesting alternate spellings - ANDREJOV, ANDRISOV, ANDRIJOV, ANDRAJOV. (all from Lazony) At least that's what they look like to me. However, when I type those spellings in English into the search they don't come up. Over the weekend I will try to look at it again and tell you the exact page & line number. Perhaps you can take a look at them then.
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Martha

            > > The Lozin church records are on line at http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=waypoint;s=waypointsOnly;c=1554443;w=0
            > >
            > > Closest birth record on film #254 page 71/183
            > > Mihaly Andras, b 13 Oct 1881
            > > Father: Mihaly Andras, I interpret from Szuchisan but cannot identify the village.
            > > Mother: Julia Zacharias from Lazony, now Lozin
            > >
            > > Given the date discrepancy, this may not be YOUR Mihaly Andras. There was only one birth in March, 1881 and that was Andras Hrubi, 29 March 1881.
            > >
            > > BTW, this is my genealogy study area, especially Dubravka.

          • seecretagentman
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 20, 2009
              I've seen this name Andrasko spelled Ondrasko and Ondrosko, if that helps any