Turzak/Hudak

  • meachamms@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 47 , Oct 6, 2009
      My great grandparents immigrated from Slovakia in the late 1880's. I can find no record of their immigration documents and unfortunately no one in the family expressed any interest in family history so no one knows which village they came from. My great grandfather says he was born in Budapest on his WWI draft registration card and I see the family identify themselves in the US Census as Austrian, Slovak and from "Slovakland" but never are they listed as Hungarian. I understand that census takers asked people their ethnicity, so I would assume what is in the records to reflect the individual's ethnic identity. Turzak is the surname of my great great grandfather (also my mother's maiden name) and his wife's surname is Hudak or Hudack. Can anyone offer advice as to how to proceed? I have been looking through FHL docs and have not seen a Turzak anywhere. Does anyone know of an alternate spelling of Turzak? All my grandfathers' first names are Louis or Ludwig. A nudge in any direction would help. Thank you.
    • MELANIE MEACHAM
      Message 47 of 47 , Oct 23, 2009
        Yes, this is my gr gr grandfather.  They went to Beaver from Youngstown where they stayed for about 20 years before moving to Farrell PA where my grandfather was born.  Thanks for the tip, Janet.  I will look there next.  My mother, sister and I are planning a European trip next summer and I hope top have the village pinned down so we can visit.  My Slovakian grandfather married an Italian immigrant, so Bagnoli Irpino Italy will be the second leg of the trip!

        ________________________________
        From: momsbeenscrappin <momsbeenscrappin@
        <mailto:momsbeenscr appin%40yahoo. com> yahoo.com>
        Subject: [S-R] Re: Turzak/Hudak
        To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.com> yahoogroups. com
        Date: Friday, October 23, 2009, 10:08 AM

        Can you stand one more quesion on the translation of Louis? My father's
        first name was Louis as was his father's middle name. I've seen several
        documents where they were both referred to as Alois. Dad told me this was
        was a version of Louis, but he wasn't sure if it was German, Slovak or
        Hungarian. He remembers his parents calling him Alois when he was a little
        boy.
        Doris

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@. ..> wrote:

        > Melanie,
        > The name Ludwig seems very German to me... as I think it is the German
        "Louis," so to speak. Ron would know... he speaks German like a native! I
        don't... :-P

        > I am glad I could help... it will all come together, I swear to you!!!!
        > Ben
        >

        > ____________ _________ _________ __

        Ludwig. This makes some sense. I've been curious as to where the name
        Ludwig came from. My grandfather Louis Turzak frequently referred to
        himself as Ludwig, though his childhood nickname "Boots" stuck with him
        until his death at age 90 in 2001.

        Slovak, and Hungarian traditions- which again helps in getting the language
        of that name straight as well as providing leads for hard to read
        handwritten names. Lajos is Hungarian. L'udovit would be the Slovak name.
        > Here is that link again.... http://www.skokan sk/infobox/ kalendar. php
        >
        > If you look at the 25th of august for the SK calendar, you will find
        L'udovit, and then the same date in the Hungarian calendar will give you
        "Lajos."