RE: [S-R] 1869 Hungarian census for Gbely - Life back then

    Message 1 of 51 , Oct 4, 2009
      Good points. We can't attribute cramped quarters entirely to poverty, although it is an important factor. Traditions varied from village to village. In some villages, the first born son and his wife raised his family in his parents home, while the other children were expected to leave. Other villages varied. In some households, there was not enough help and other young single people lived with them to help out in the house or in the field.
      Often people left because the "gardens" were simply not large enough to feed the number of heads. These decsions were often made the the age of 16, which may seem tender by today's western standards.

      More good reading on these topics can be found here.

      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/traditions.htm

      http://www.saed.kent.edu/~lucak/topica/Grisak.pdf

      Bill

      Message 51 of 51 , Oct 9, 2009
        Bill, MacCartney doesn't really cover this very well, but I did find some
        answers in my own library. Fel and Hofer's "Proper Peasants" has a succinct
        description of what happened following the emancipation of the serfs in
        1848, though I still haven't found the answer to "how many?".

        Thanks for your effort to help.

        Whenever I read an especially good response to an interesting query, I can
        always tell before looking if you were the author. Your knowledge is
        phenomenal. Thank you for your continuing efforts to educate us all.

        Janet

        _____