Re: [S-R] Re: Unable to read Gravesone

  • Vladimir Linder
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 4, 2009
      You didn't get it at all. All I was trying to
      tell you that you would probably have a better
      luck in getting the translation from Hungarian to English on Hungarian list.
      I don't think there is anybody on this list that
      has any clues about Hungarian language and if
      they do, it is a wild shot in the dark. If I was
      you I try the translation on Hungarian list and
      go on and continue with my research in what is now I am sure Slovakia.

      I have nothing against Hungarians what so ever.
      This summer I was in Hungary three times. Once
      visiting Esterhazy palace in FERTOD (by the way
      Esterhazy family comes from GALANTA today in
      Slovakia, second time I visited palace GODOLO
      north East of Budapest, Empresses SISI wife of
      FRANZ JOSEPH favorite place. She was crowned to
      be Hungarian queen by Palatine Andrassy who also
      is or was from what is today Slovakia and they
      owned amongst other places castle Krasna Horka
      and Betliar manor house. And third time I went to Budapest.

      Vladi

      At 10:40 AM 10/4/2009, you wrote:

> [...]
      >like it, but "genealogy research, queries and
      >assistance in locating information on ancestors
      >who were from areas of the former
      >Austria-Hungary empire and/or the former
      >Czechoslovakia" (which what it says the Group
      >description) includes, *gasp!*, Hungarian
      >ancestors, as well as documents in the Hungarian
      >language. When someone needs help deciphering,
      >say, a 19th Century baptismal record from
      >Levoèa, written in, of course, *Hungarian*, are
      >they "on the wrong list"? Seriously?
      >
      >Besides, last I heard, you don't run the place,
      >and I haven't heard the people who do impose a
      >"no Hungarian" rule. So why don't you go peddle
      >your tchotchkes, and let the nice people who are
      >interested in genealogy (as something other than
      >a money-making opportunity) be? "GOT IT??"
      >
      >---Will
      >
      >--- In
      ><mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com,
      >Vladimir Linder <vlinder49@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > You got to be kidding, I do not forget anything.
      > > I lived in that country for the first 19 years of
      > > my life. If you want HUNGARIAN translations,
      > you are on the wrong list GOT IT??
      > > Yours teuly,
      > >
      > > Vladi
      > >

      > > At 06:53 PM 10/3/2009, you wrote:
      > > >

      > > >Other than the "looks like Hungarian" bit,
      > > >ignore Vladi, who seems to forget that Slovakia
      > > >is a multi-ethnic state, with one in ten of it's
      > > >inhabitants being Magyars. You're certainly on the right list. :)
      > > >
      > > >I can't read much, myself, other than the
      > > >fellow's name, the dates, and "Abauj", a
      > > >historical province in the south of modern
      > > >Slovakia and the north of modern Hungary.
      > > >
      > > >But I did find someone else's transcription of
      > > >this stone here:
      > > ><<http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestr
      > y.com/~njm1/08Ascension-Clairton.htm>http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~njm1/08Ascension-Clairton.htm>http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~njm1/08Ascension-Clairton.htm
      > > >
      > > >They read "82 ul Kasa" as "szul Kasan", almost
      > > >certainly "szül. Kassán", or born in
      > > >Kassa/Košice. Which is witin the historical
      > > >province of Abaúj/Abov, which I mentioned above.
      > > >
      > > >They also read his birth date as being 4 Apr
      > > >1878, and death date as 4 Apr 1918. Which sounds right.
      > > >
      > > >The "Aldas Beke Porara" on Catherine's grave
      > > >seems to be a "rest in peace" type thing. Google
      > > >Translate says that "Áldás béke" means "blessing
      > > >of peace", and that "porára" means "powder".
      > > >Probably something to do with blessing her
      > > >ashes... Was she was cremated, perhaps?
      > > >
      > > >Perhaps you might want to scan and upload a copy
      > > >of the photo into the files section, if possible. Couldn't hurt.
      > > >
      > > >Good luck. :)
      > > >
      > > >---Will
      > > >
      > > >--- In
      > > ><mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com><mailt
      > o:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com,

      > > > do not know what all the writing means, it is
      > > > old and some parts are hard to read but this is what wrote down;

    • Margaret
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 8, 2009
        Excuse me but I do not know all, make that any, of the Eastern European languages. The person this gravestone belongs to is Slovak as is the rest of my maternal family.

        I guess I will look elsewhere for an answer

        Margaret

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 8, 2009
          Margaret,

          Mr. Lindner does not speak for the group. This is his own opinion.
          Others are always feel free to respond to your request.

          You should continue to feel free to make such requests here, but do also
          avail yourself of other groups.

          Bill

          On Thu, October 8, 2009 1:11 pm, Margaret wrote:
          > Excuse me but I do not know all, make that any, of the Eastern European
          > languages. The person this gravestone belongs to is Slovak as is the rest
          > of my maternal family.
          >
          > I guess I will look elsewhere for an answer
          >
          > Margaret
          >

          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Vladimir Linder <vlinder49@...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> THAT ISN'T SLOVAK AT ALL Try some other list.
          >> looks like Hungarian
          >> Vladi
          >>
          >> At 01:07 PM 10/3/2009, you wrote:
          >> >

          >> >I found a picture of a family gravestone but do not know what all
          >> >the writing means, it is old and some parts are hard to read but
          >> >this is what wrote down;
          >> >
          >> >Fit nyu on left top...................Drag??? Ferjen on right top
          >> >82 ul Kasan
          >> >Janos Hrabovszki
          >> >1878 Apr 14. en
          >> >abauj mFoye
          >> >Mech 1918
          >> >Apr 14 EN
          >> >Aldas Beke Porara
          >> >
          >> >The one for his wife Catherine just shows 1883-1958 and Aldas Beke
          >> Porara
          >> >
          >> >Can anyone tell me what these words mean
          >> >
          >> >Thank you
          >> >Margaret

          Bill Tarkulich
          http://www.iabsi.com
        • Janet Kozlay
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 8, 2009
            Margaret,

            Despite your family being Slovak, the headstone is, in fact, written in
            Hungarian. Even the name, Janos, is the Hungarian form of John; Slovak would
            be Jan.

            Without being able to see the writing, one can only guess at some of it. Can
            you not attach the photo?

            For what it is worth, from someone who knows only a little Hungarian
            vocabulary, some of the writing may be interpreted as follows:

            Fit nyu on left top...................Drag??? Ferjen on right top

            [Ferje means husband of. Can't interpret the rest of it.]

            82 ul Kasan

            [Probably "szul kassai" meaning born in Kassa, now Kosice]

            Janos Hrabovszki

            [John Hrabovszki. The name ending in "y" (Hrabovszky) would be more usual. I
            would also expect it to be written Hrabovszky Janos, the Hungarian form with
            the family name first.]

            1878 Apr 14. en [on April 14, 1878]

            abauj mFoye [possibly "Abauj megye"-the county where Kassa is]

            Mech 1918 [possibly "megh. 1918"-died April 14, 1918]

            Aldas Beke Porara [Rest In Peace]

            Janet

            _____

            Mr. Lindner does not speak for the group. This is his own opinion.
            Others are always feel free to respond to your request.

            You should continue to feel free to make such requests here, but do also
            avail yourself of other groups.

            Bill

            On Thu, October 8, 2009 1:11 pm, Margaret wrote:
            > Excuse me but I do not know all, make that any, of the Eastern European
            > languages. The person this gravestone belongs to is Slovak as is the rest
            > of my maternal family.
            >
            > I guess I will look elsewhere for an answer
            >
            > Margaret
            >

            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
            yahoogroups.com, Vladimir Linder <vlinder49@...>
            > wrote:
            >>
            >> THAT ISN'T SLOVAK AT ALL Try some other list.
            >> looks like Hungarian
            >> Vladi
            >>
            >> At 01:07 PM 10/3/2009, you wrote:
            >> >

            >> >I found a picture of a family gravestone but do not know what all
            >> >the writing means, it is old and some parts are hard to read but
            >> >this is what wrote down;
            >> >
            >> >Fit nyu on left top...................Drag??? Ferjen on right top
            >> >82 ul Kasan
            >> >Janos Hrabovszki
            >> >1878 Apr 14. en
            >> >abauj mFoye
            >> >Mech 1918
            >> >Apr 14 EN
            >> >Aldas Beke Porara
            >> >
            >> >The one for his wife Catherine just shows 1883-1958 and Aldas Beke
            >> Porara
            >> >
            >> >Can anyone tell me what these words mean
            >> >
            >> >Thank you
            >> >Margaret

            ups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank email to
            unsubscribe@yahoogroups.comYahoo! Groups Links

            --
            Bill Tarkulich
            http://www.iabsi. <http://www.iabsi.com> com

          • Margaret Hicks
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 8, 2009
              His reply was rude, which fired me up so I went and did a little research and found that Abauj is on the 1828 Hungarian Census. It turns out that Kasan, in County of Abauj was part of Hungary but is now in Slovakia. The cemetery where the picture of the gravestone is Ascension of our Lord Byzantine Catholic Church in Clarion, PA.

              I have a small Slovak translator and will see if I can find out what the words on the stone mean

              Margaret

              Mr. Lindner does not speak for the group. This is his own opinion.
              Others are always feel free to respond to your request.

              You should continue to feel free to make such requests here, but do also
              avail yourself of other groups.

              Bill

              On Thu, October 8, 2009 1:11 pm, Margaret wrote:
              > Excuse me but I do not know all, make that any, of the Eastern European
              > languages. The person this gravestone belongs to is Slovak as is the rest
              > of my maternal family.
              >
              > I guess I will look elsewhere for an answer
              >
              > Margaret
              >

              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Vladimir Linder <vlinder49@...>
              > wrote:
              >>
              >> THAT ISN'T SLOVAK AT ALL Try some other list.
              >> looks like Hungarian
              >> Vladi
              >>
              >> At 01:07 PM 10/3/2009, you wrote:
              >> >

              >> >I found a picture of a family gravestone but do not know what all
              >> >the writing means, it is old and some parts are hard to read but
              >> >this is what wrote down;
              >> >
              >> >Fit nyu on left top...................Drag??? Ferjen on right top
              >> >82 ul Kasan
              >> >Janos Hrabovszki
              >> >1878 Apr 14. en
              >> >abauj mFoye
              >> >Mech 1918
              >> >Apr 14 EN
              >> >Aldas Beke Porara
              >> >
              >> >The one for his wife Catherine just shows 1883-1958 and Aldas Beke
              >> Porara
              >> >
              >> >Can anyone tell me what these words mean
              >> >
              >> >Thank you
              >> >Margaret

              Bill Tarkulich
              http://www.iabsi.com

            • Judy Hogel
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 8, 2009
                Margaret,
                This may be a long shot.

                Looking up the words in my Hungarian-English dictionary, I found...
                "draga" could mean "dear/precious" and "ferj" means "husband". I do not know how the -en ending might change the meaning of "ferj". I was not able to find any of the other words.

                Judy

                To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                From: m-s6hix2@...
                Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 17:11:34 +0000

                Excuse me but I do not know all, make that any, of the Eastern European languages. The person this gravestone belongs to is Slovak as is the rest of my maternal family.

                I guess I will look elsewhere for an answer

                Margaret

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Vladimir Linder <vlinder49@...> wrote:

                > THAT ISN'T SLOVAK AT ALL Try some other list.
                > looks like Hungarian
                > Vladi
                >
                > At 01:07 PM 10/3/2009, you wrote:
                > >

                > >I found a picture of a family gravestone but do not know what all
                > >the writing means, it is old and some parts are hard to read but
                > >this is what wrote down;
                > >
                > >Fit nyu on left top...................Drag??? Ferjen on right top
                > >82 ul Kasan
                > >Janos Hrabovszki
                > >1878 Apr 14. en
                > >abauj mFoye
                > >Mech 1918
                > >Apr 14 EN
                > >Aldas Beke Porara
                > >
                > >The one for his wife Catherine just shows 1883-1958 and Aldas Beke Porara
                > >
                > >Can anyone tell me what these words mean
                > >
                > >Thank you
                > >Margaret

              • Janet Kozlay
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 8, 2009
                  Margaret, where did you find that "Kasan" was in Abauj (actually
                  Abauj-Torna) megye? I'm certain it was Kassa (German spelling Kaschau).
                  There was no Kasan.

                  Janet

                  _____