Re: [S-R] Re: Garamszecs

  • Vladimir Linder
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
      GARAMSEK is today HONSEK south of Banska Bystica.
      I spen my summer there when I was a little boy
      4-13. Wooden Articular church there now a UNESCO world heritage site.

      Click my site it has all about HRONSEK THERE:
      http://www.slovakheritage.org/Churcheslutheran/hronsek.htm

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
        How about HRANOVNICA, Spis
        Formerly known as:
        Grenicz = GRENIC = Szepesveghely

        Bill

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4, 2009
          I checked out the Radix link--of course, the two years I'm mpst interested in have the most emigrants! I'll look at that further.

          GRAMMESC is a good start.  During this period the Magyar (""Hungarian")
          names were in use.  First we'll get the spelling corrected.  The town
          would have a different name today, which I'm sure we can tell you.  I'm
          sure when folks look at their books tonight there will be several name
          suggestions.

          "Slav" is a racial term, and it embodies folks in many nations.  I presume
          you mean the present lands of Slovakia?

          Since Slovakia was once encompassed in Hungary, the attached link shows
          you over time where they immigrated from, during what periods of time.
          http://www.bogardi.com/gen/g024.htm
          Amsterdam and Rotterdam were biggies before the German shipping lines got
          into the act in about 1902.  You'll notice before 1902 the volumes of
          immigrants were much  lower.   The vast majority of Slovakia emigrants
          were departed from German ports, regardless of the emigration laws, which
          is a story for another time.

          Bill

          On Fri, October 2, 2009 1:05 pm, Mary Murin wrote:
          > Dear Group,
          > I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you all--I'm overwhelmed!!
          > I hardly have had time to read all my messages. Thank you all. For those
          > who mentioned Castle Garden--yes, I have looked there without much luick.
          > I did find 2 Peters in the right time period--one was too old and the
          > other came from Denmark. Did Slavs emigrate through Denmark? Jody, I will
          > look up this family search labs you mentioned as soon as I get a chance;
          > Helene, I will contact you soon; everyone thanks again.
          > Here is something new. My Peter Murin had a younger brother b. around
          > 1866. I believe they emigrated together. The brother also settled in
          > Bayonne, NJ, but around late 1903 or early 1904, he moved west to Cambria
          > County, PA, where he was a coal miner. In the 1910 census, there is a John
          > Murin, age 35 living with him. I'm assuming this might be a relative,
          > although he's listed as "boarder" on the census. He came in 1909, and I
          > have found him as Janos Murin on the Ellis Island website. He arrived on
          > 29 Jan., on Pannonia from the port of Fiume. The transcriber listed his
          > point of of origin as Grammesc(?). I looked at the manifest and was unable
          > to decipher. I have looked at many maps and done many searches, but I have
          > been unable to find this place. Has anyone ever heard of it? Probably a
          > tiny village. Someone mentioned a 1995 Slovak census with 1409 Murins--but
          > since i don't know where they came from it's not much help. Hope this is
          > not too long.

          Bill Tarkulich
          http://www.iabsi.com

        • Mary Murin
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 4, 2009
            I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you--for some reason your message went to my spam box. Thanks for the information--I've got to start looking at maps. Bill and John have given me another location as well.