Re: [S-R] ANNA CSUBA/ CHUBA GEORGE SUTYAK / SHUTYAK

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 51 , Sep 30, 2009
      Believe it or not, most villages would have had their own church. The problem was there was not a enough priests to go around. So often the larger places would be the parish and then out laying villages would be associates. This made for an interesting situation, since the priest could not get to all of the villages on Sunday he would go another day. So some villages could have their "Sunday" on a weekday. I looked at a list of Greek Catholic parishes in the area, there are 10. The nearest neighboring GC church to Kyjov is 4 miles away in Sarrisske Jastrabie. The "big" town in the area is Lipany.
      There is not much online for Kyjov. http://www.leslie-turek.com/trip8.html this is an account of a trip to Kyjov, with pictures.
      Slovakia is a country of small villages. There are some 2300 villages. On some roads villages are less than half a mile apart. It is one of the reasons that you average about 45 mph when driving country roads. You are constantly slowing down.
      Every village seems to have a church. In my own ancestral village, Hromos, the Greek Catholics and Roman Catholics shared the same church for 125 years. Then three years ago after the church had been renovated the Greeks kicked the Romans out. The Romans in two years built their own. This is a village of 550 souls.
      Of interest to me is how the spelling of the surnames you have differ from those I found listed. I have seen Csuba before, but not Cuba. All four names had a different spelling. The Slovak spelling would be considered the "official" one.
      Since 2001 I have made six trips to Slovakia. Having spent about 5 months there over those trips. Kyjov is about 8 miles from Hromos. I have driven past Kyjov hundreds of times. On my next trip I would be happy to get some photographs for you.. And I can certainly inquire about your family there. It is possible I'll be going there in 2010.

      Message 51 of 51 , Oct 9, 2009
        Bill, MacCartney doesn't really cover this very well, but I did find some
        answers in my own library. Fel and Hofer's "Proper Peasants" has a succinct
        description of what happened following the emancipation of the serfs in
        1848, though I still haven't found the answer to "how many?".

        Thanks for your effort to help.

        Whenever I read an especially good response to an interesting query, I can
        always tell before looking if you were the author. Your knowledge is
        phenomenal. Thank you for your continuing efforts to educate us all.

        Janet

        _____