Re: [S-R] ANNA CSUBA/ CHUBA GEORGE SUTYAK / SHUTYAK

  • lcn325
    Message 1 of 51 , Sep 30, 2009
      Thanks again for mentioning the smaller towns are close to Lubotin. I now realize the towns such as Kyjov are about 9 miles apart. In another message you mentioned a Greek Catholic Church. Is there a photo of one that those located in smaller towns went to?

      > Kyjov
      >
      > county: Stará Lubovna
      >
      > OLD NAMES of the village(town): 1773 Kijo, Kijó, Kijow, 1786 Kijo, 1808 Kijó, Kió, Kyow, 1863-1913 Kijó, 1920- Kyjov
      >
      > Surnames and number: Cuba Cuba Cuba Cuba Cuba Cuba Cuba Cubová Cubová Cubová Krajnák Krajnák Pavlovský Suták Suták
      >
      > The above surnames and their spellings were found in Kyjov.. The spellings are different from yours.
      >
      > The Statistical Office of Slovakia says the birth recording office for Kyjov is in the town of Lubotin. Small villages often don't have there own.

    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 51 of 51 , Oct 9, 2009
        Bill, MacCartney doesn't really cover this very well, but I did find some
        answers in my own library. Fel and Hofer's "Proper Peasants" has a succinct
        description of what happened following the emancipation of the serfs in
        1848, though I still haven't found the answer to "how many?".

        Thanks for your effort to help.

        Whenever I read an especially good response to an interesting query, I can
        always tell before looking if you were the author. Your knowledge is
        phenomenal. Thank you for your continuing efforts to educate us all.

        Janet

        _____