RE: [S-R] IMPORTANT: FHL Electronic Slovakia Record Access Restrictions

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2009
      Bill, I'll bet there are lots of people who are panicking unnecessarily over
      this. As I understand your message, it really affects only those who are
      looking at the digital "Pilot" records, not any of the microfilms. MaryLou,
      for instance, is looking at microfilms for Hanusovce nad Toplou, some of
      which run into 1896. But these will not be affected.

      I do wish they would reconsider their use of separate indexes for the
      microfilms and for the digital (pilot) records. I'm sure there will be lots
      of people in the future who will look for records under one index not
      realizing the need to check another one as well.

      There is still an area that has not been addressed, and that is those
      villages which have been microfilmed but not yet cataloged. Am I correct
      that they will eventually find their way into the film index? Is there any
      way to tell whether a village has been microfilmed but not indexed, or
      whether it is on the slate for electronic filming?

      Janet

      _____

      From: Bill Tarkulich
      Date: 9/30/2009 7:29:55 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [S-R] IMPORTANT: FHL Electronic Slovakia Record Access Restrictions

      Hello Everyone,

      I received a "heads up" note from the Chief Slovak/Czech Cataloguer at the
      FHL about an upcoming FHL directive that may impact your research. Please
      read this carefully. You may want to turn up the heat on your FHL research
      activity. The summary below is my own, based on a conversation tonight.

      Bill

      FHL Electronic Slovakia Record Access

      Family History Library - Slovak State Archive FHL Patron Access Policy
      Update

      September 30, 2009

      Everyone (well, most researchers) is/are aware that the FHL agreement with
      the archives was to film only up to 1895. Everyone also knows that in many
      cases, the microfilm records extend beyond 1895, sometimes as late as the
      1950s.

      The FHL Slovakia negotiator has directed the FHL Catalog team to remove any
      post-1895 records from the new, electronic image catalog system "Record
      Search Pilot". Because the process is extremely laborious, the catalog,
      this will be occurring slowing over the course of the next several months.

      You should also note the following:

      1) Extant village microfilms which contain post-1895 records will
      not be edited, the effort would be Herculean.

      2) All new records that are "filmed" will be stored
      electronically only. No new microfilms.

      3) The indices (I call them "card-catalogs") for electronic
      records and microfilm/microfiche records will remain separate for the
      foreseeable future.

      WHAT THIS MEANS TO THE RESEARCHER

      a) If the village of your interest contains post-1895 records and
      are contained in the current online "Pilot" collection they will only be
      viewable for the next few months.

      b) If you are lucky, and your village is on microfilm, any
      post-1895 records, can still be found on microfilm.

      c) Any new village records not previously microfilmed will be put
      into the Pilot system only and will not contain records beyond 1895.

      d) When you are looking for village records, you must separately
      consult two indices: The Microfilm/microfiche Index and the Pilot Index.

      In summary, post-1895 records, if available, will only be on microfilm,
      after the online purge is completed. You have a short opportunity right now
      to view post-1895 online.

      Shortcuts:

      Microfilm/microfiche index http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl.com/95cp>
      com/95cp (only the index is
      online. View the films in person.)

      Pilot Index http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl.com/684hcr> com/684hcr (Online
      Images)

      For more information on using the Pilot Index, http://tinyurl.
      <http://tinyurl.com/ybhmo7e> com/ybhmo7e

      Bill Tarkulich

      Bill

      SLOVAK-ROOTS- <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>
      unsubscribe@yahoogroups.comYahoo! Groups Links

      ---------------------
      Text inserted by Panda GP 2010:

      http://localhost:
      <http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_2583&SPAM=true&path=C:>
      6083/Panda?ID=pav_2583&SPAM=true&path=C:\Documents%20and%20S
      ttings\Mary%20Lou\Local%20Settings\Application%20Data\Panda%20Security\Panda
      %
      0Global%20Protection%202010\AntiSpam

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 30, 2009
        Janet,

        True, I do think I could word it better.

        Yes, those that have been filmed but not catalogued will make it into the
        catalog. The question is, digital or film? My money says, they will be
        digital, because it's cheaper and less effort. It's their party.

        The FHL will not publically commit to any specific records on any specific
        timeframe. It's their party of course.

        The cataloguers did embark last year on a "pre-release" of films, you'll
        note certain entries note "quick available for researchers, but the catalog
        entry has not been proofed and may be incomplete or in error. That way they
        had nothing "in the backlog".

        With the recent mess-up in cataloging, they've got to get current entries
        correct first. And specific to your question, they won't release any queue
        of what is coming when. They preserve their right to change their minds on
        cataloging strategy, which they often do. They are obliged to no one but
        themselves.

        Bill

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 30, 2009
          Bill,

          One (semi-dumb) question about something you wrote:

          "If the village of your interest contains post-1895 records and
          are contained in the current online 'Pilot' collection they will only be viewable for the next few months."

          I'm assuming that this means that only those collections of images containing post-1895 records will be removed. Like, a set of images from 1885-1920, etc. They're not actually removing *all* records from villages that happen to have a set of post-1995 records, correct?

          ---Will

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
            I should have done a better job writing that. Indeed you are correct, sorry
            for the confusion. Problem with mail lists is that I cannot edit what I
            once sent.
            I will update the notice further and post them on my web page this weekend.

            I've also received an inquiry elsewhere about villages that seem to
            "disappear" from the Pilot index. I will inquire of the FHL about their
            process so we know what to expect.

            Regards,

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Tarkulich" <bill.tarkulich@...>

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 3, 2009
              Thanks, Bill. I'm sure it made perfect sense to everyone but me. :)

              Speaking of "disappearing" records, I have noticed that the GK records from Lastomír [Baptisms (Krsty), Inv. è. 531, 1890-1921] have been incomplete for the past couple of weeks, with only a tiny collection of copies being available for the town. I reported the missing images, and got a reply, but I don't imagine they'll be fixing something that they'll be taking down soon enough anyways...

              ---Will