Re: [S-R] IMPORTANT: FHL Electronic Slovakia Record Access Restrictions

  • MaryLou
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30 4:50 PM
      I am going to download all the images for my ancestor's village, Hanusovce
      nad topla - Evangelical, that have dates after 1895. I suggest that each of
      us do the same with individual villages.
      MaryLou Crouch

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 30 5:07 PM
        Hello!

        How do you download info re: your village(s)?  I have the name of the village(s) I need information for but have not had the chance to do as much research as I need to.

        Any direction is appreciated.  If this has already been discussed on the board, I will be more than happy to go through the old boards postings..

        Good luck to all who are researching as well.

        Deb

        ------------ ---------
        Text inserted by Panda GP 2010:

        http://localhost: 6083/Panda? ID=pav_2583& SPAM=true& path=C:\Documents%20and% 20S
        ttings\Mary% 20Lou\Local% 20Settings\ Application% 20Data\Panda% 20Security\ Panda%
        0Global%20Protectio n%202010\ AntiSpam

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 30 5:55 PM
          Bill, I'll bet there are lots of people who are panicking unnecessarily over
          this. As I understand your message, it really affects only those who are
          looking at the digital "Pilot" records, not any of the microfilms. MaryLou,
          for instance, is looking at microfilms for Hanusovce nad Toplou, some of
          which run into 1896. But these will not be affected.

          I do wish they would reconsider their use of separate indexes for the
          microfilms and for the digital (pilot) records. I'm sure there will be lots
          of people in the future who will look for records under one index not
          realizing the need to check another one as well.

          There is still an area that has not been addressed, and that is those
          villages which have been microfilmed but not yet cataloged. Am I correct
          that they will eventually find their way into the film index? Is there any
          way to tell whether a village has been microfilmed but not indexed, or
          whether it is on the slate for electronic filming?

          Janet

          _____

          Microfilm/microfiche index http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl.com/95cp>

          Pilot Index http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl.com/684hcr> com/684hcr (Online
          Images)

          For more information on using the Pilot Index, http://tinyurl.
          <http://tinyurl.com/ybhmo7e> com/ybhmo7e

          Bill Tarkulich

          Bill

          SLOVAK-ROOTS- <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>
          unsubscribe@yahoogroups.comYahoo! Groups Links

          ---------------------
          Text inserted by Panda GP 2010:

          http://localhost:
          <http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_2583&SPAM=true&path=C:>
          6083/Panda?ID=pav_2583&SPAM=true&path=C:\Documents%20and%20S
          ttings\Mary%20Lou\Local%20Settings\Application%20Data\Panda%20Security\Panda
          %
          0Global%20Protection%202010\AntiSpam

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 30 6:03 PM
            Janet,

            True, I do think I could word it better.

            Yes, those that have been filmed but not catalogued will make it into the
            catalog. The question is, digital or film? My money says, they will be
            digital, because it's cheaper and less effort. It's their party.

            The FHL will not publically commit to any specific records on any specific
            timeframe. It's their party of course.

            The cataloguers did embark last year on a "pre-release" of films, you'll
            note certain entries note "quick available for researchers, but the catalog
            entry has not been proofed and may be incomplete or in error. That way they
            had nothing "in the backlog".

            With the recent mess-up in cataloging, they've got to get current entries
            correct first. And specific to your question, they won't release any queue
            of what is coming when. They preserve their right to change their minds on
            cataloging strategy, which they often do. They are obliged to no one but
            themselves.

            Bill

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 30 7:59 PM
              Bill,

              One (semi-dumb) question about something you wrote:

              "If the village of your interest contains post-1895 records and
              are contained in the current online 'Pilot' collection they will only be viewable for the next few months."

              I'm assuming that this means that only those collections of images containing post-1895 records will be removed. Like, a set of images from 1885-1920, etc. They're not actually removing *all* records from villages that happen to have a set of post-1995 records, correct?

              ---Will

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
                I should have done a better job writing that. Indeed you are correct, sorry
                for the confusion. Problem with mail lists is that I cannot edit what I
                once sent.
                I will update the notice further and post them on my web page this weekend.

                I've also received an inquiry elsewhere about villages that seem to
                "disappear" from the Pilot index. I will inquire of the FHL about their
                process so we know what to expect.

                Regards,

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Tarkulich" <bill.tarkulich@...>

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 3, 2009
                  Thanks, Bill. I'm sure it made perfect sense to everyone but me. :)

                  Speaking of "disappearing" records, I have noticed that the GK records from Lastomír [Baptisms (Krsty), Inv. è. 531, 1890-1921] have been incomplete for the past couple of weeks, with only a tiny collection of copies being available for the town. I reported the missing images, and got a reply, but I don't imagine they'll be fixing something that they'll be taking down soon enough anyways...

                  ---Will