RE: [S-R] Petugac name

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 30, 2009
      That made a HUGE difference.

      The Slovak Phone directory shows 32 entries for Petergac, many of them in
      the area of Roznava. One of them (Pavol) even lives in Gemerska Poloma
      (Velka Poloma).

      About a mile east of Gemerska Poloma is the village of Betliar. In 1905
      Istvan (i.e., Steven) Petergas immigrated from Betlér (same place, different
      spelling) to his cousin, (looks like Guszti (Gusztav) Schohniszky) in
      Lorain, Ohio. I was not able to trace Istvan/Steven in later years. He may
      have changed his name or returned home.

      The origin of the name is Croatian, but any migration from Croatia could
      have been hundreds of years earlier, most probably from fleeing the Turks
      during the Ottoman Empire. It is not a common name in Slovakia, which makes
      it more likely that they are related in one degree or another.

      The question of Hungary and Slovakia is not one of changing borders but that
      a part of the large country of Hungary was broken off to form the new
      country of Slovakia following WWI. Therefore, before WWI, the village was
      correctly in Hungary. Afterwards it was in Slovakia, then Czechoslovakia,
      and finally Slovakia again. The name was spelled somewhat differently under
      each regime. Its Hungarian name was Nagy-Veszveres.

      Janet

      _____