Re: [S-R] Petugac name

  • John
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 30, 2009
      >>> I have her Roman Catholic Christening record from Vel'ka Poloma. The name is actually spelled "Petergac" as her mother's maiden name. She was married to a Smrecansky. <<<

      Petergac(ova) appears in current Slovak phone listings. Petugac was a very red herring.
    • John
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 30, 2009
        >>> It was my grandmother's mother's maiden name. She married a Smrecansky. I know they were in Velka Poloma at some point because I have a copy of her Christening record but I cant read the rest of it to find out more info. Very disheartening. <<<

        The "Christening record" has the correct family name, religion and village name. That's all you need in order to research the available church records at your nearest LDS Family History Center.

        Why is this disheartening? I don't get it.
      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 30, 2009
          That made a HUGE difference.

          The Slovak Phone directory shows 32 entries for Petergac, many of them in
          the area of Roznava. One of them (Pavol) even lives in Gemerska Poloma
          (Velka Poloma).

          About a mile east of Gemerska Poloma is the village of Betliar. In 1905
          Istvan (i.e., Steven) Petergas immigrated from Betlér (same place, different
          spelling) to his cousin, (looks like Guszti (Gusztav) Schohniszky) in
          Lorain, Ohio. I was not able to trace Istvan/Steven in later years. He may
          have changed his name or returned home.

          The origin of the name is Croatian, but any migration from Croatia could
          have been hundreds of years earlier, most probably from fleeing the Turks
          during the Ottoman Empire. It is not a common name in Slovakia, which makes
          it more likely that they are related in one degree or another.

          The question of Hungary and Slovakia is not one of changing borders but that
          a part of the large country of Hungary was broken off to form the new
          country of Slovakia following WWI. Therefore, before WWI, the village was
          correctly in Hungary. Afterwards it was in Slovakia, then Czechoslovakia,
          and finally Slovakia again. The name was spelled somewhat differently under
          each regime. Its Hungarian name was Nagy-Veszveres.

          Janet

          _____