Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Info

  • RJMRAZIK
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 17, 2000
      Theresa,
      Based on my ancestor's Petitions for Naturalization it took about 1 week
      from France to USA or from Germany to USA 8 days. Hope this helps. Good luck
      with your speech!
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 17, 2000
        It depends on if it was a sailing ship or a steamship......

        Sailing ships could take up to 3 weeks I believe, steamships usually a
        week.

        I take this from reading manifests into NY, based on date of departure
        and dates of arrival. Other ports could have taken more or less....

        I do know that my gr/grandmother's trip from Germany to NY in 1880 took
        nearly 3 months as she went from Berlin to a port by land, then a boat
        to Sweden, then over land, then another boat to Liverpool, and then
        finally the ship from Liverpool/Queenstown to NY. Entirely that took
        about 3 months, and in the dead of winter with a 5 month old baby.

        Many people went by land to the port they were leaving from and lived
        and worked there for awhile until they had the money for passage (which
        is why so many Irish say they are "from Cork" as they moved there until
        they had the money to buy the ticket there , Queenstown is the old name
        for the port of Cork or Cobh)
        Same with Eastern Europeans who left for Fiume and Hamburg to work there
        til they had the money.

        So much depended on where they left from and what route they took to get
        to the final destination. That's genealogy for you... no simple answers!

        Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
      • Susan Walizer
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 17, 2000
          I was recently at Ellis Island touring and in one of the instructional tours
          they stated that a trip could take a week or up to a month.

          Sue

          http://profiles.msn.com