Info

  • Theresa McGlothlen
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 17, 2000
      I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on how long
      it
      took the ships to reach the US? I am giving a speech in my speech
      class on genealogy, and boy am I nervous, and thought If I through in
      that little bit of info as an ice breaker it might help.
      Theresa
    • DANIEL KISHA
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 18, 2000
        Recently read a article on a immigrant that came to the US in about 1901,
        and it said that a trip to the US which normally takes a week took three
        weeks because of bad weather and some mechanical problems.

        Dan Kisha

      • MCMAN1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , May 23 7:04 PM
          Hello
          Does anyone recognize the last name of FRATICK or FATRIK, FATRICK,
          FRATRIK in Slovakia? I am interested in tracing my grandfathers roots to
          Slovakia.
          I know very little about his past as he could not speak english. I don't even
          know what town he came from. Any help would be apprieciated.

          Thank you
          Joe Fratick E-mail MCMAN1@...

        • John M,
          Message 4 of 8 , May 23 10:50 PM
            At 10:04 PM 5/23/2004 -0400, you wrote:
            >Hello
            > Does anyone recognize the last name of FRATICK or FATRIK, FATRICK,
            >FRATRIK in Slovakia? I am interested in tracing my grandfathers roots to
            >Slovakia.

            There are many Fratrik, Fratrikova, and Fratric^ listed in the online SK
            phone book. I could find none of the others you mentioned. Just a quick
            scan of their locations seems to indicate most Fratriks were located in
            Western Slovakia (Bratislava, Zlina, etc)

            >I know very little about his past as he could not speak english. I don't even
            >know what town he came from. Any help would be apprieciated.

            You'll have to start here using Social Security, church, citizenship
            applications, etc to find out when he arrived and perhaps what town he was
            from. Have you tried the online Ellis Island Database?

            John M
          • nhasior@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , May 24 4:13 AM
              Joe,
              Each search is different. However, my starting point was similar to yours.
              I did not know how to spell the last names of three out of four of my
              grandparents, and truthfully, the names alternated between Slovak and Hungarian
              spellings depending on who was in power at the time.
              One of the tools I did was to use the Ellis Island search database which has
              been refined and expedited by Mr. Morse
              http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html
              If you find the record, you will then know a little more about your
              grandfather. If not, you can always go to the local National Archives and Records
              Administration and search there.
              Or the Latter Day Saints Mormon Family History Center nearest to where you
              live.

              The next step, and the one I consider the most important, would be to go to
              the church where your father was baptized. Ask to be helped by the rectory to
              find the record of your father's baptism. You must have access to the ledger,
              not receive a copy of his Baptismal certificate. The certificate has nothing
              more than whatever you probably already know. But the ledger has much more
              vital data. It even has the godparents and their village of origin. It has
              where the family lived at the time of the Baptism. But the main thing is that it
              will have the village of origin for both of your father's parents. If you
              are fortunate, it will be spelled correctly and it will be the exact town. In
              some instances, it will provide only the county of origin such as Saros or
              Spis. But, even at that rate, you will still be a little closer to knowing where
              is the village.
              That is how I started my search. To make a long story short, I have found
              and visited two out of four of my ancestral villages.
              Good luck to you.
              Where did your grandfather settle?
              Noreen

            • Frank
              Message 6 of 8 , May 24 11:22 AM
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, MCMAN1@a... wrote:
                > Hello
                > Does anyone recognize the last name of FRATICK or FATRIK, FATRIC=
                K,
                > FRATRIK in Slovakia? I am interested in tracing my grandfathers roots=
                > Slovakia.
                > I know very little about his past as he could not speak english. I don't =
                even
                > know what town he came from. Any help would be apprieciated.
                >
                > Thank you
                > Joe Fratick E-mail MCMAN1@a...

                Joe

                Ellis Island Records (EIR) list 28 surnames Fratric who had emigrated
                to US from Croatia (former Yugoslavia)
                In Croatian the surname is spelled Fratric' (pron. Fratrich)

                EIR list 16 surnames Fratrik who had emigrated to US from
                western Slovakia (i.e., Bitarová (Sk) Bitérfalva (H) and Zadubnie (Sk)
                Tölgyesalja (H)) located near Z^ilina.

                You spell your surname Fratick.
                Social Security Death Index (SSDI) lists 6 surnames Fratick under PA and IL=
                .
                Can it be assumed you are related to them ?

                or
                SSDI lists 13 surnames Fratrik all listed under Bucks CO PA.

                What was grandfather's given name ?
                He had settled in what State ?

                He could not speak English but he spoke Slovak and was from Slovakia
                formerly known as Upper-Hungary before WW I and part of Czechoslovakia af=
                ter 1920 ?

                What language did he speak ?

                How are you ? English

                Hogy Van ? Hungarian

                Ako sa más^ ? Slovak

                Jak se máte ? Czech

                Jak sie masz ? Polish

                Kako ste ? Croatian

                Kako se imate ? Slovene
              • shawn earls
                Message 7 of 8 , May 25 2:00 PM
                  Joe-

                  My maiden name is Fratrik. I am originally from Bucks County in Pennsylvania. There are several family members currently trying to find family in Slovakia. I would be happy to help you if I can. My great grandfather, Adam Fratrik, came from Podhorie Hungary in 1906 to Ellis Island. I have some information. Just let me know what you need.
                  Karen Fratrik Earls
                  swekearls@...

                  MCMAN1@... wrote:
                  Hello
                  Does anyone recognize the last name of FRATICK or FATRIK, FATRICK,
                  FRATRIK in Slovakia? I am interested in tracing my grandfathers roots to
                  Slovakia.
                  I know very little about his past as he could not speak english. I don't even
                  know what town he came from. Any help would be apprieciated.

                  Thank you
                  Joe Fratick E-mail MCMAN1@...

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 30 10:16 PM
                    Hello Karen,
                    My Aunt Rose Fratick mentioned to me before she died that
                    she had relatives in Bucks Co. We are in Delaware Co. Pa. My grandfathers
                    first name was Andrew he was married to Mary Horvanek. They came to the US in
                    around 1900. I was always told we were Slovak. Our neighborhood is Slovak and
                    at one time we had a Slovak American Citizens Club. I believe my grandfather
                    had a brother who settled in Bucks county. I do know that our name was
                    americanized years ago. Thank you for your response Joe Fratick