RE: [S-R] Petugac name

  • deshauncarrieson@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 30, 2009
      Hi. Yes, I knew my gramma my whole life. She spoke only English. Her parents and siblings went back and forth to the former Czechoslovakia when the children were small. I have her Roman Catholic Christening record from Vel'ka Poloma. The name is actually spelled "Petergac" as her mother's maiden name. She was married to a Smrecansky. My grandmother only ever knew she was Slovak which is why I'm so curious about the maiden names side. What small amount I know is that the area changed names and I'm confused about the Hungarian border situation.

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 30, 2009
        Priezvisko PETERGÁC sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 79×, celkový pocet lokalít: 18, v lokalitách: 79 listings in 18 locations.

        GEMERSKÁ POLOMA, okr. ROZNAVA - 2×; In 1995 2 men with that name were in Gemerska Poloma.

        PETERGÁCOVÁ GEMERSKÁ POLOMA, okr. ROZNAVA - 4×; And 4 women with that name.

        From the online telephone directory:

        Petergác Pavol Adresa
        Sládkovicova 632, Gemerská Poloma

        There were 32 listing for Petegac. Only one in Gemerska Poloma. That doesn't mean there are not others living there. It could be worth the effort to write Pavol.

        What are you confused about concerning the Hungarian border? Gemerska Poloma is some distance from it.

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 30, 2009
          >>> I have her Roman Catholic Christening record from Vel'ka Poloma. The name is actually spelled "Petergac" as her mother's maiden name. She was married to a Smrecansky. <<<

          Petergac(ova) appears in current Slovak phone listings. Petugac was a very red herring.
        • John
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 30, 2009
            >>> It was my grandmother's mother's maiden name. She married a Smrecansky. I know they were in Velka Poloma at some point because I have a copy of her Christening record but I cant read the rest of it to find out more info. Very disheartening. <<<

            The "Christening record" has the correct family name, religion and village name. That's all you need in order to research the available church records at your nearest LDS Family History Center.

            Why is this disheartening? I don't get it.
          • Janet Kozlay
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 30, 2009
              That made a HUGE difference.

              The Slovak Phone directory shows 32 entries for Petergac, many of them in
              the area of Roznava. One of them (Pavol) even lives in Gemerska Poloma
              (Velka Poloma).

              About a mile east of Gemerska Poloma is the village of Betliar. In 1905
              Istvan (i.e., Steven) Petergas immigrated from Betlér (same place, different
              spelling) to his cousin, (looks like Guszti (Gusztav) Schohniszky) in
              Lorain, Ohio. I was not able to trace Istvan/Steven in later years. He may
              have changed his name or returned home.

              The origin of the name is Croatian, but any migration from Croatia could
              have been hundreds of years earlier, most probably from fleeing the Turks
              during the Ottoman Empire. It is not a common name in Slovakia, which makes
              it more likely that they are related in one degree or another.

              The question of Hungary and Slovakia is not one of changing borders but that
              a part of the large country of Hungary was broken off to form the new
              country of Slovakia following WWI. Therefore, before WWI, the village was
              correctly in Hungary. Afterwards it was in Slovakia, then Czechoslovakia,
              and finally Slovakia again. The name was spelled somewhat differently under
              each regime. Its Hungarian name was Nagy-Veszveres.

              Janet

              _____