Re: [S-R] Murin family

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2009
      Mary Ellen,
      Welcome to the group. Hope we can help you.
      If Peter Murin came to the USA in the 1880's he would have come through Castle Gardens, the Ellis Island of its day. Those records are available at Ancestry.com, but you have to join. A month's membership is not too much.
      I entered Murin into the 1995 Slovak Census database in hopes of giving you some idea where the name is found. Slovak uses dialect marks, because of that Murin has three spellings using those and one with none. All together 1409 listings for Murin in 380 locations in 1995.
      The Ship's Manifest will answer most of your questions about when and from where.

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 30, 2009
        Mary Ellen,
        & Michael

        Castle Garden has its own web site with immigration manifests and it is free. just google "castle garden" and you'll find it. He may not have entered through castle garden. The other ports of entry, such as Baltimore, are only available through Ancestry.com.

        Curt B.

        > Mary Ellen,
        > Welcome to the group. Hope we can help you.
        > If Peter Murin came to the USA in the 1880's he would have come through Castle Gardens, the Ellis Island of its day. Those records are available at Ancestry.com, but you have to join. A month's membership is not too much.
        > I entered Murin into the 1995 Slovak Census database in hopes of giving you some idea where the name is found. Slovak uses dialect marks, because of that Murin has three spellings using those and one with none. All together 1409 listings for Murin in 380 locations in 1995.
        > The Ship's Manifest will answer most of your questions about when and from where.

      • Julie & Kevin
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 30, 2009
          Hi
          Here is the site for Castle Garden ..... http://www.castlegarden.org/
          at the top is the word 'SEARCH' open it & search. It is a great site..
          Good luck,
          Julie B in NC

          yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

          > Mary Ellen,
          > Welcome to the group. Hope we can help you.
          > If Peter Murin came to the USA in the 1880's he would have come through
          Castle Gardens, the Ellis Island of its day. Those records are available at
          Ancestry.com, but you have to join. A month's membership is not too much.
          > I entered Murin into the 1995 Slovak Census database in hopes of giving
          you some idea where the name is found. Slovak uses dialect marks, because of
          that Murin has three spellings using those and one with none. All together
          1409 listings for Murin in 380 locations in 1995.
          > The Ship's Manifest will answer most of your questions about when and from
          where.

        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 30, 2009
            Thanks Curt.
            Unfortunately the only Murin listed from Hungary came in the 1890's.