Re: Fekisovce

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 17, 2000
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, Jon Zatk <stepmattzatk@y...> wrote:

      > I have grandmother from Fekisovce and was wondering if anybody
      knows
      if the Family History Center has any films on the parish records of
      this or any neighboring village which Fekisovice might belong to.
      Her
      Maiden name is Petro, if this belongs in anyones tree.

      > Thank you very much.--John Zatkovich

      Don't know your surname.

      But, with a surname like Petro assume a Ruthenian ethnicity ?
      I mean Carpatho-Rusyn, i.e. Petro/Petroi/Pitro/Pitroi et al ?

      The LDS have filmed the G.C. parish church records for Fekis^ovce
      (1805-1937)
      Listed under Úbrez^, Slovakia; formerly Ubrezs, Ung Megye,
      Hungary.

      Most of pre- WWI Ung Megye territory is now located in the Ukraine
      across from the current Slovakia border =>
      The part just east of Michalovce and west of Sobrance remained in
      Slovakia.

      Text in Latin, Hungarian, and Church Slavonic.
      film #
      1794063
      1794064

      When a Slavic surname ends in a vowel it gets included in lists with
      all the Romance language (Italian, Spanish, French, Portuguese)
      surnames.
      Probably 3000-5000 surname Petro bearers just in the U.S.
    • Jon Zatk
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 25, 2001
        Looking for the Church records for the Fekisovce Area. I am looking for the family of Petro.

        Mr. Kurchina has already directed me to Film #1794063/64 Which I believe was the Greek Catholic records and I could only find one reference to Petro and that was as a godfather, so I know I'm in the right area, just the wrong church. Does anybody (Frank) know of a Roman Catholic church nearby.

        Thank you in advance for any help.

        John Zatkovich

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 26, 2001
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Jon Zatk <stepmattzatk@y...> wrote:

          > Looking for the Church records for the Fekisovce Area. I am looking
          for the family of Petro.

          > Mr. Kurchina has already directed me to Film #1794063/64 Which I
          believe was the Greek Catholic records and I could only find one
          reference to Petro and that was as a godfather, so I know I'm in the
          right area, just the wrong church. Does anybody (Frank) know of a
          Roman Catholic church nearby.

          > Thank you in advance for any help.
          >
          > John Zatkovich

          The 2 film numbers referred to the G.C. records for U'brez^ (Sv)
          Ubrezs (H) located 10 miles east of Michalovce.
          The microfilms included the records for Fekis^ovce (Sv) which
          is located 2 miles WSW of U'brez^.
          U'brez^ has 2 churches.
          Don't know the denomination of the other church nor its age ?
          Even for other nearby villages all I can find is G.C. records.
        • Jon Zatk
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 7, 2003
            I was wondering if anyone knows of any Roman Catholic Parishes in the area of Fekisovce and Ubrez. So far all I've found was the Greek Catholic ones. Searching for the names Petro & Otrubec.

            thank you,

            John Zatkovich